1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question for you guys:

Try to follow along :D

My '64 has a nice running 194.

I got a free 250 from a 70k mile '67 Chevelle wagon that was running smooth before pulled.

My friend just got a 194 from a '62 nova for his 30's hotrod.

I need to convert to a front sump & he wants to convert to a rear sump.

Questions:
Is it possible to just swap oil pans & pump pickups?
What are the exact details on the dipstick?

thanks!

El Gordo

·
Registered
565 Posts
Depends where the sump is on the dipstick, some are in front.

Some are in back.

I went to rear sump but the block wasn't driiled for it, so I took one off a junk big block pan I had and mounted it to the new pan, looks like factory.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Not a sixer guy but I have heard front sump the dip stick goes in the pan rear sump is goes in the block.So that said front sump on Non Nova block is simple just plug the dip stick hole in the block,rear sump on a nova block requires a hole to be drilled for the dip stick.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not a sixer guy but I have heard front sump the dip stick goes in the pan rear sump is goes in the block.So that said front sump on Non Nova block is simple just plug the dip stick hole in the block,rear sump on a nova block requires a hole to be drilled for the dip stick.
Not all blocks have a pad there to drill out as can be seen in the top pic, or I would have done that..:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
First and second Gen's all had front sump pans due to steering components so at the time there were no reason to have provisions for a rear dipstick in the block, I missed that too when I put the rear sump on mine, LOL..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I finally got some pictures!
The first shows my 194 in my Acadian which should be the same as my buddy's.
Am I correct that the flat spot to the left of the GM, just above the starter is the boss for the rear sump dipstick?

the following pics are my 250 on a stand with the side we need to see up against a wall :rolleyes: this showing rear sump dipstick

Is the round button between the fuel pump & motormount the front sump boss?

thanks!

·
Registered
565 Posts
In the top pic that pad is for center sump, rear sump is second pic, in the bottom pic it could be for a front sump?, my 250 don't have that pad but mine came out of a 3rd Gen, but every front sump I've seen were like the top pic sooo???...

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I would say Twisted6 would be the man to ask about this one maybe he will show up later on.
:yes::yes::yes:

THAT'S WHERE I'D GO IF I RUN IN TO A TIGHT SPOT! :cool:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Guys!
I just want as much info as I can get before I pull the trigger.

Lot's of info on converting to rear sump because of steering change and info on changing a small block to front, not much on converting a 6 to front.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Simplest way to do either is weld a tube to the oil pan like the Old v8s had.
Sec. If you do not have PS just dimple the pan Or C knotch it for the clearance
on the drag link. As to adding the tube Just make sure to match the height of the tube on the block this way you can use the same dip stick.and keep the bottom part of the tube High up on the oil pan as you can.It has been yrs from the last one i ever made for a rear sump.I found it just easier to do the notch on the oil pan.
Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts