Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to sort future purchases on my 65 SS 4 speed. The car has it’s original recessed oil filter block and a front sump pan setup. What I’m wondering is if I decide to go with an aftermarket front clip ie Mustang II will I be able to convert the nova block over to a standard passenger car rear sump pan? From what I’ve been reading the Nova blocks use their own specific oil pump, pickup and oil pump driveshaft. Will a standard oil pump, pickup and shaft work inside the Nova only block? Part of me wonders if it’d just be better to put the complete motor out of the car up on a stand for safe keeping and build a standard block like I’m used to having in a Nova, but I do love a little 283 and I think it’d be cool to retain that aspect of the car and keep it with its original drivetrain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Yes just build it like any other small block. It was only the pump and stuff that was different for the front sump.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear it! I’ve always been a little spooked by that front sump set up. Doesn’t seem like a great design really. Kinda bummed I won’t be able to run an oil cooler with the Nova block from what I’ve been seeing. I haven’t found any adapters that’ll fit up into the recessed oil filter location.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Glad to hear it! I’ve always been a little spooked by that front sump set up. Doesn’t seem like a great design really. Kinda bummed I won’t be able to run an oil cooler with the Nova block from what I’ve been seeing. I haven’t found any adapters that’ll fit up into the recessed oil filter location.
Btw...kevko makes a nice oil pan for the Chevy II. Rear sump, side kickout, and windage tray. And will clear a 4.125” crank. I’ve used the pan on 4 different builds including mine. A 350, 406, 421, and a 434.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Btw...kevko makes a nice oil pan for the Chevy II. Rear sump, side kickout, and windage tray. And will clear a 4.125” crank. I’ve used the pan on 4 different builds including mine. A 350, 406, 421, and a 434.
thanks! I’ll check it out!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a Canton rear sump pan that I liked

I dont think your block isn't drilled for an oil dipstick, make sure the pan you get has a spot for the dipstick to go through.
Yeah I gotta go look at the block and see if there’s a plug I can pop out to get the dipstick back to the rear of the block. Hoping there’s a plug back there and not a solid boss that needs to be drilled lol

·
Super Moderator
9,799 Posts
Most of the rear sump conversion pans for 1st gen Novas have the dipstick provisions built in for exactly that reason. I don't think the factory drilled that hole on the original Nova blocks. Just something to check before you have it all buttoned up and back in the car and are trying to check the oil. :)

TIP: if you're using the canton pan, put the dipstick tube on before you put the engine in so you can get the tube mounted and tightened properly. I left that until after the engine was in, and it was tougher to take care of. I ended up having to pull the engine for a different problem later, and made sure the tube was mounted before I reinstalled the engine the second time. Muuuch better.

Conversely...if you're using a non-Nova block, you will need to plug the dipstick hole in the block if you're using a pan that has the dipstick entry point on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a picture of a 66 block on eBay with a corvette pan...looks like there might actually be a dipstick hole in the Nova blocks after all?

·
Super Moderator
9,799 Posts
Here’s a picture of a 66 block on eBay with a corvette pan...looks like there might actually be a dipstick hole in the Nova blocks after all?
<shrug> maybe factory drilled it...maybe added later at the machine shop, Not sure what the factory did. My point is I wouldn’t assume it was there. Easy enough to check before it becomes a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts