Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a convertible, what are the trim pieces called that are where the convertible top meets the body and goes around the perimeter of the car from door to door? I think there is actually 4 pieces there but I am specifically looking for the 2 large pieces that go from the sides to the middle of the back.

Anybody know where you can find these?

cale

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
On a convertible, what are the trim pieces called that are where the convertible top meets the body and goes around the perimeter of the car from door to door? I think there is actually 4 pieces there but I am specifically looking for the 2 large pieces that go from the sides to the middle of the back.

Anybody know where you can find these?

cale
Are you talking of the convertible snap moulding?

It joins up with the qtr window reveal moulding......

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the part. Anyone know where I can find one for each side?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an extra one. It's broken as they usually are. I bought it a couple of years ago as a spare and haven't had it welded together yet. It's in three pieces. It also has some small dings, but restorable. PM me if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what is wrong with mine, it is broken in the same place on both sides. Looking for pieces that are not broken but maybe the best way is to buy broken, have them welded and polished. THose are just polished pieces right? They aren't chrome right?

cale

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
They are stainless. The spot where they break is where they are welded from the factory. Not sure why they are welded originally. Kinda weird.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
The pieces were formed and welded to save material and tooling costs. If you look at the "short" piece that is welded on you will notice it is much wider than the rest of the trim. It would be very costly to tool up for that part. Bad engineering leads to compromise fabrication, in my opinion. If you have the pieces, have them welded. If you don't, start hunting. I have a customer that has been looking for an intact set for over 4 years.

Rich

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the pieces that are on my car, they are just broken. Been that way for a while but finally got around to doing something about it. Thought I might be able to find a couple good pieces but sounds like they are the tough piece to find. Second hope is to find something, have them fixed, replace mine, have my current pieces fixed, and sell them. That way, the car does not look like garbage without the trim. Gotta get it back on the road!

cale

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have a few sets at a restoration shop. I'll post pictures and repair prices when they're done. They have to make some type of jig to do the welding in.
The welding is very costly too. They will save the jig incase someone else needs theirs welded. That will save anyone else the cost of making the jig. After I see the finished pieces, I'll see about doing more sets to sell. It may not be cost effective for selling, but I have to have one set for myself.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts