Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the re-assembly stage of my 63 droptop resto mod and decided to replace the top, which was a vinyl top in good shape, with a high quality cloth top. The top was functioning properly when we removed the vinyl top and I took lots of notes and pics. The actual top frame/bows are in real good shape and were stripped, cleaned and painted. At this point, I made the decision to replace the pricey convertible top rubbers and is also where my problems started. The rubber mouldings appear to be good reproduction pieces and seem to fit well. The problem is when I install the door window piece, I can't close the doors with the windows up. The window frame hangs up on the moulding. Anyone else on the forum go thru these issues with the convertible top?

·
3,219 Posts
There are adjustments to the quarter window, I believe. There is a stop for the quarter window, and you may have to make it stop just a little bit earlier. It comes up, but it also comes forward. Also, the top frame has adjustments--more than you think, and that's a serious pain. The entire mounting for the top is adjustable where it bolts to the mount in the quarter panel, and other adjustments. Maybe the quarter window has to go further rearward and is pushing up against the weatherstrip on the rail of the convertible top where it meets it at the rear curved part?

Definitely not a one and done installation. As an absolute last resort, I have seen the quarter window rubber piece trimmed a little so the door window would close.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are adjustments to the quarter window, I believe. There is a stop for the quarter window, and you may have to make it stop just a little bit earlier. It comes up, but it also comes forward. Also, the top frame has adjustments--more than you think, and that's a serious pain. The entire mounting for the top is adjustable where it bolts to the mount in the quarter panel, and other adjustments. Maybe the quarter window has to go further rearward and is pushing up against the weatherstrip on the rail of the convertible top where it meets it at the rear curved part?

Definitely not a one and done installation. As an absolute last resort, I have seen the quarter window rubber piece trimmed a little so the door window would close.
Appreciate the input on this PITA part of the re-construction. I have tried most of the adjustment points but, I do see where getting the window to help lift and stiffen up the side is a good tip. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kit did you use? I installed Steele Rubber and they fit great. Expensive but worth it.
I bought the Soff Seal rubbers and I am not too happy with their products. I wished I would have done a little more research on the quality of the rubber seal products out there. I heard from my other hot rod buddies that own Fords, Mopars and other US made muscle cars/trucks, that they have the same issues with Soff Seal. Metro Mouldings also came highly recommended, especially the Mopar owners. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
wagonshane....... thats a fine lookin' ride. i always thought GM could of kept those front fender trims going for a few more years than just 62. i think they would of looked good even on the 2nd. gen novas.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchase my expensive rubber vert kit from the Car Shop in Orange, CA. and worked out fine. Not sure what brand but the cost of the kit was almost a hundred dollars less than Classic Industries.
Beautiful ride. What's the running gear like?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Are you in possession of a 62 chevy II shop manual? There is a full chapter on the convertible top installation and all adjustments. Before I had a shop install my cloth top, I stripped off the old top and spent about 4 hours adjusting the top frame to fit as well as possible before the new top was installed. Still had to make window adjustments after the top was installed but I found it easier to make most of the adjustments before the top was installed. Take your time, study the manual and keep at it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you in possession of a 62 chevy II shop manual? There is a full chapter on the convertible top installation and all adjustments. Before I had a shop install my cloth top, I stripped off the old top and spent about 4 hours adjusting the top frame to fit as well as possible before the new top was installed. Still had to make window adjustments after the top was installed but I found it easier to make most of the adjustments before the top was installed. Take your time, study the manual and keep at it.
My car has a very well documented and detailed history which was what I was looking for when I searched for droptop. I has rust free floors and well taken care of before I got it. Consequently, I have all the receipts and shop manuals with it. I have looked thru them and I have not found a section on convertible service. Would you happen to know if it is a supplementary manual? Thanks for information.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have no knowledge of a Nova vert service manual. It possible that ChevyII Only might have some literature on the verts.

·
3,219 Posts
I know I've seen this, but I couldn't identify the book. 1962 Chevy II Shop Manual, you say? Is there a convertible supplement? Can you show a pic of the cover? I should grab one.

·
Premium Member
4,534 Posts
the 1962 Chevy II shop manual pages 1-55 to 1-76 are dedicated to the convertible top , installation , operation , adjustments and care , I have original manuals for sale for $20 each + shipping

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the 1962 Chevy II shop manual pages 1-55 to 1-76 are dedicated to the convertible top , installation , operation , adjustments and care , I have original manuals for sale for $20 each + shipping
I would be very interested in one of your manuals. My manual is an original shop manual and is in tatters. Any chance that you have an electronic version for the same price?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts