Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my top is still in good shape. but the pads underneath that run along the doors on the top...i guess they're a pad of some sort is sorta falling apart. is this something i can just have replaced without redoing the whole top?

next....the back window a couple of inches down following along the zipper on the window side is tearing apart a bit. is this fixable or does it need to be replaced??

finally...i've noticed some other convertibles that have a rear glass window instead of the plastic and the window has a seem in it which to me makes it look like you wouldn't need to unzip the window and drop it down. like the window would fold in half as the top was being put down. does anyone know if this is possible to have done on a nova??

trying not to replace the top just yet. if i can get these issues fixed i'll def get many more years out of it. any ideas on what a new top cost to get replaced?

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm sure you could find a convertible top shop in your area that could replace just the rear window for you and also the side rail pads. I haven't seen a glass window in a nova vert before but I'm sure it could be done. I too have seen the glass rear window with the silicone seam in the middle. They used them on 69 camaro convertibles as well as others. I think the seam across the middle of the window looks crappy and I'm sure it blocks visibility. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
Wow! I've never seen one with glass, but like the idea.

I'm with you, I think you should try to repair what you have that is working, if it is repairable. From what I know, replacing the pads without removing the top can be done, but it's hard to know what it will look like when the top is closed, and the firmness of new pads might stretch an already aging top even more.

I've only repaired one top split, but it went a long time after the repair. It looked OK from the outside, but a little frankenstein from the inside. I got a strip of white canvas that was close to the fabric of the top and cut a strip to sew through on the inside and repaired it that way. I used a thick nylon thread, and it didn't look bad, but not as if there were no repair, either.

I was just quoted $1100 for a new, white top installed. That was everything, pads, and everything, out the door. I thought it was a lot, but they did good work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply guys. i've already searched the "yellow" pages for convertible top repair places. got TONS of listings BUT it's always nice to get some advice on where to and not to go to get stuff repaired. plus since it's a classic car some shops are better/more experienced with them.

the top overall condition is good. no rips or tears in it at all. but along the rear window side of the top...following along the zipper (still on the inside part of the car, you can't see it from the outside at all) is where the tearing is starting. one shop said he'd rather not take it all apart just to fix the window. :rolleyes:
and as far as getting a glass folding window instead of the plastic....i would think it would be better to have a one inch silicone seal to worry about looking thru then what some of what the whole rear plastic windows end up looking thru sometimes!

thanks for the input guys. anyone else care to add??

·
Registered
38 Posts
The rear curtain can be replaced, around my part of the country it is a $250-$300 job. Never had pads replaced on an old top but I think it could be done. The top is stapled on, in three areas, the rear ( in the top well), where the top & rear window attaches to the rear bow, and the front. To replace the rear window the back must be taken loose and the area where the top of the window attaches to the rear bow. That is two of three. So taking the front loose, or partly loose to replace the pads would be easy if done all at once. The pads staple on also, the top material must have the staples pulled to get access to the pads and also the rear curtain. It requires a fair amount of time/labor, but not nearly as much as replacing the entire top.

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply mike. now if just the back window is 2-3 and who knows what the pads will be and if they need to take 2 out of the 3 sets of staples out to change the other stuff i may just try and wait it out to do the whole top if that would cost around 1000-1200-ish with the pads and window included.
hmm....must ponder this a bit.
thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Don't mean to hijack your thread........

thanks for the reply mike. now if just the back window is 2-3 and who knows what the pads will be and if they need to take 2 out of the 3 sets of staples out to change the other stuff i may just try and wait it out to do the whole top if that would cost around 1000-1200-ish with the pads and window included.
hmm....must ponder this a bit.
thanks again!!
You did title this thread as convertible top questions and I have one I would like to ask but am too lazy to start my own thead:D so here goes.

When putting the top down, what precautions if any do you use to prevent creasing the rear vinyl window? My routine: I unlatch the header, began lifting the frame until the rear bow is loose and the window starts to fold in half. I then use my hand to gently form the crease all the way across removing the wrinkles, then continue to stow the top. As you can guess my top is manual. For all you power top owners, do you just hit the switch and let her fold up? If so, has it caused any permanent wrinkles? This is my first convertible and the PO showed me how to drop the top. Must be something to it because my top is 10 years old now and still looks new. Of course the car is garage kept and only driven on the weekends.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a manual top. First I unzip the rear window and then it lays flat in that little bay the rest of the top folds in. I just unlatch it after dropping the window and then fold the top till it clicks in place. Tops in good shap it's white so its seen better days but still in good shape. Just having trouble with previous mention items.
Does anyone use any kinds of special conditioners or cleaners for their top?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you don't unzip it first and just put the top down, it will naturally fold in half. I don't crease it with my hand. I simply make sure there are no puckers along the fold. No noticeable line in my window after 10 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts