Chevy Nova Forum banner

221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,871 Posts
Thanks to Dan for posting the V-8 ChevyII article. It shows a lot of the parts needed to make the swap, and shows that not ALL V-8 4-speed parts were ready for Thomas to buy over the counter. I've looked at that article many times, and still can't figure out what part is shown to put the clutch ball on a non-Nova V-8 SBC. Still very cool. I know I've asked before, but I'd like to shout out again to anyone in either PA or Southern California who know a racer named Phil Paliotti. More than 20 years ago, I visited him in the San Diego area at his home, and he had built a clone of the white Bill Thomas F.I. car in the article. It had the right '62 Fuel Injection, the right trans and shifter from big car, and it was about as faithful a clone as you could make--heck, the recipe and pictures are in the article! I wonder what happened to that car, or if anyone else ever attempted a clone.

Two '62's are featured: a white one, and what is a darker colored one, blue or red maybe. Both were converted, but as the white car is F.I., some pictures show a 'point' on the marker on the front of the head, indicating a small valve, regular 283 head. I had the chance to talk to Bill Thomas about those cars when he was alive, and he said he converted 6 '62 Chevy IIs to V-8, including at least one convertible and at least one wagon. He had received 6 crate V-8's from Chevrolet and 6 cars, and was asked to install the engines in the cars to check fitment of parts on the list and to see what changes would need to be made. Of course, I asked him what happened to the cars, and he was directed to sell the cars. 'To just anybody?', I asked, and he said yes. In fact, he seemed to remember the wagon going to a guy in Washington State. Like a lot of other things he worked on, when they were done or tested, they were just sold for cash and he moved on to the next big thing.

The Datsun roadster is as cool as the Nova convert. A '63 Datsun 1500 roadster, especially LHD, is a pretty rare thing; I knew a guy who had a nice one. Rear accommodates only one passenger, laying sideways in the seat. Those early Datsuns shared (stole?) a lot from Austin A-40 and A-50 mechanical designs that came before them in England.

·
Super Moderator
3,871 Posts
Why not? They're fun to drive, especially with the 8 holer under the hood. Red with black top in SS trim looks like a showroom floor choice to me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
There's a build thread buried in the car profiles section as" bg3500 convertible" . 400sbc , lunati HR,Brodix IK200. 1.76PG. 8.2 ,2.73 posi. Full CBR with power rack 2inch drop leaf, DA Vikings . Front power disc. Vintage Air.Stock exh manifolds/2.5 Pypes . Power top. Built for my wife. Love your vert.......been checking you out awhile

bg

·
Registered
119 Posts
There's a build thread buried in the car profiles section as" bg3500 convertible" . 400sbc , lunati HR,Brodix IK200. 1.76PG. 8.2 ,2.73 posi. Full CBR with power rack 2inch drop leaf, DA Vikings . Front power disc. Vintage Air.Stock exh manifolds/2.5 Pypes . Power top. Built for my wife. Love your vert.......been checking you out awhile

bg
Thanks. You seem to have a lot of quality hardware in yours too. Where I am going to the extreme on mine is the electrical. I am doing the full Infinitybox treatment on mine so I can bluetooth most of the electronics on the car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks. You seem to have a lot of quality hardware in yours too. Where I am going to the extreme on mine is the electrical. I am doing the full Infinitybox treatment on mine so I can bluetooth most of the electronics on the car.

Amazing .....When I started on mine, LS/Overdrive was a full custom fabrication and very expensive. Can't wait to find a new project to do some of the new stuff. Your car is first class.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Amazing .....When I started on mine, LS/Overdrive was a full custom fabrication and very expensive. Can't wait to find a new project to do some of the new stuff. Your car is first class.
Thanks. Tons of detail work being done. Hidden/or minimal visible electrical, smooth bumpers, a/c ducts in dash, re-done exterior chrome, seals. etc.

221 - 229 of 229 Posts