Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a higher stall converter in I'm just not sure how much. I was thinking 4000rpm. Let me know what info you might need to make an educated decision. Most of my motor specs are in my signature.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
4000 sounds about right to me if it's a high quality piece.

It weighs 3328 w/out driver
My 69 with a 6 cyl/3 spd weighed 3140 when I bought it--after trimming a lot of little bits and pieces out, I think it's just under 3000 lbs--I haven't had it on a scale for awhile. Swapping the multi leaf/slapper bar combo for Split-Mono/Cal-Tracs shed 61 lbs. Aerospace discs up front were good for 30 lbs.
On a 73 they have the massive beams in the doors that are good for a bunch. Not to mention the giant bumpers.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have removed alot of metal in favor of plastic. The interior is gutted eccept for carpet and 2 summit racing seats. I still have the big bumpers but the mounting hardware was replaced with thin sheet metal(done before I bought the car) The weight in my sig is from the NHRA scale that was installed at the track I race at. Fiberglass hood too. I need to swap the front drums for discs and I will cut the springs while I have it apart. The springs are almost at the top of their travel because so much weight has been removed of the front half of the car.

bowtie, what do you mean by a high quality piece? I have heard alot of good things about the Redneck converters on this forum, that's what I was planning on putting in?????? Yes,No???what do you think?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
what do you mean by a high quality piece? I have heard alot of good things about the Redneck converters on this forum, that's what I was planning on putting in?????? Yes,No???what do you think?
I was talking about you not buying a typical 10" 3500-4000 rpm $99 special--It might go to 4000, but the mph will usually suffer from all the slippage most of the cheapie converters have.
I have no experience with Redneck, but I can't remember ever hearing any complaints.
I've been using the same Munsinger 8" 6000+ rpm piece for several years, and I highly recommend him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts