Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been calling around to see the prices to push out the ball joints/bushings and press new ones in. Well the lowest I have found is $225 for all 4 arms! Is this the normal going rate for this type of job? This is IF I supply all of the parts and grease to them as well. If I don't supply the parts or grease it's $350!!!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
My brother had all 4 ball joints installed along with all the a-arm bushings, he supplied all the parts, and it only cost him 100 bucks....225 seems way too high

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
My brother had all 4 ball joints installed along with all the a-arm bushings, he supplied all the parts, and it only cost him 100 bucks....225 seems way too high
Agreed! It should be half of what you were quoted.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed! It should be half of what you were quoted.
Found a place about 2 towns over that will do it for $100. Press them in and press them out. Looks like I'm going with them, I just hope they don't mangle them after I get them all painted and they look pretty.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
You can buy a press and do them yourself cheaper!!!!!!

50.00 bucks would be a big deal!!!!!!!!!

Al

·
Registered
234 Posts
Rent a ball joint press tool from AutoZone or similar store. To do the bushings, I find that a $20 Bernz-O-Matic torch does wonders for removing the old bushings. I heat the inner metal sleeve until it pretty much falls out because of the melted rubber. Then it's pretty easy to get the rubber out followed by the outer shell. Installation of the new bushings is done with a large socket and a BFH. $225 is ridiculous for doing this job!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
oh yeah, i forgot about Autozone and Advance auto let you use there tools for Free! all you do is pay for the tool upfront and then when you bring it back with in the 2 weeks you get a full refund. its call rent for free. if you give me an email address i can send you a picture of how i pressed in my lower control arms bushings using a bolt, nut, PVC piping, and some large washers.... it cost me $7.......

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yeah, i forgot about Autozone and Advance auto let you use there tools for Free! all you do is pay for the tool upfront and then when you bring it back with in the 2 weeks you get a full refund. its call rent for free. if you give me an email address i can send you a picture of how i pressed in my lower control arms bushings using a bolt, nut, PVC piping, and some large washers.... it cost me $7.......
PM sent buddy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts