Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,246 Posts
Thanks, it really has cascaded from "just wanting the radio to not look jacked" to restoring the whole interior.

I finally got my cluster indicators delivered and installed. Not it looks complete minus the silver leafing.
amatojm, you mind sharing a pic of the back side of your cluster. I've been compiling several different ideas off the site while I prepare to do something similar. I was even thinking of cutting the warning lights out too. I don't think I have ever seen a bezel where the radio slot was not hacked to hell. Good job on yours.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
amatojm, you mind sharing a pic of the back side of your cluster. I've been compiling several different ideas off the site while I prepare to do something similar. I was even thinking of cutting the warning lights out too. I don't think I have ever seen a bezel where the radio slot was not hacked to hell. Good job on yours.
Here you go, Mark. Sorry it took a few days. Been working on a new work bench.
The only negatives about this cluster is it makes using the factory "Fasten Seatbelt" light inoperable and you don't have the factory clear lense which I kinda like. Otherwise, I love it. If you search Ebay for "Nova gauge cluster" or similar, you'll find the guy selling these. Pretty sure he cut them out on a machine vs drilling holes in a piece of aluminum on the bench.
I also wish I would have waited and saved a little bit more $$$ for the gauges. These look great in the day, but at night, the backlighting on all the gauges is just a little different even though they are all Speedway gauges. Oh well, they'll work.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Due to the 'rona, I had to order a silver leafing pen on Amazon and wait a week for them to deliver it to me out in the boonies (oh boo hoo). But now the dash is edged and finished till I get it in the car and install a radio. Feels good to have something else completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That looks very nice. Was it difficult to get good results with the leafing pen?
Thanks!
The Krylon pen lacks a little bit of the shine that the original had but I'm certainly satisfied.

It really was not bad at all. I did find that needed to stop frequently and dab the pen on a sheet of cardboard to keep it plenty wet.
I will also advise to start again in a different spot and come back after where you stopped has dried. This avoids streaking and clumping half dried pant on the pen tip.

I have decided I am just going to let the radio ride. Hopefully when the radio gets installed, it takes away from how the fiberglass dried.

Sometimes I think I'm too picky

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know that I am my own worst critic. I feel that most of us that take on projects such as this probably are. We know every flaw in our work and I am usually the first one to point mine out to people. My wife laughs at me for this. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
its almost go time! Got these photos from the painter. He's finally happy with how it looks. He'll be wet sanding, throwing the body back on the frame and rear end. And have his glass guy come out to put the front and back glass in. I should have it back by the end of the month. I'm trying to make as detailed of a plan on putting the thing back together so I can have a chance to drive it a little bit before the weather starts turning here in Spokane. I'll ha e to move with a quickness, but I think its doable.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,373 Posts
Looking good (y)
Can't wait to see some pics of the entire car!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just read your entire thread! Looking forward to you getting it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ha-hah! "throwing the body back on the frame and rear end". I noticed the change in wording right away. Too funny.

The dual stripe applications and of course the dark grey metal flake paint. What's not to like? Good choices.

I know you asked for this in another post so here it is:
Although a list was done on SNS before, I can't find it now. Here's a re-cap and hopefully someone will pick-up on my omissions for you.
Assumes you have already done all drivetrain - includes brakes.
You can start with the interior in the following order:
Noise dampening in roof, dome light wiring, headliner, package tray and sail panels, sun visors, upper windlace pieces to finish, noise dampening inside doors, inner door hardware, door handles/latches, door glass, door n' rear mirrors, rear quarter inner hardware and glass, front speaker, heater, radio, glove box, all wiring (courtesy lights included), all dash instrumentation, rear speakers, all noise/heat dampening for floor & rear seat back, carpet, seats, quarter and door panels, final windlace pieces.

Then Exterior
Inner fenders, front headlights w/buckets, marker lights, grille, headlight nacelle, front bumper, park/signal lights,
Rear taillights, rear bumper, gas tank, external radio antenna (if not using windshield version), any Nova related badging you desire.
Front and rear Window installations, window & door exterior trim, full tank of gas, then Sub-frame connectors last.
Install shades, crank the tunes, driver's window down, arm on door, turn-up smile and drive!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ha-hah! "throwing the body back on the frame and rear end". I noticed the change in wording right away. Too funny.

The dual stripe applications and of course the dark grey metal flake paint. What's not to like? Good choices.

I know you asked for this in another post so here it is:
Although a list was done on SNS before, I can't find it now. Here's a re-cap and hopefully someone will pick-up on my omissions for you.
Assumes you have already done all drivetrain - includes brakes.
You can start with the interior in the following order:
Noise dampening in roof, dome light wiring, headliner, package tray and sail panels, sun visors, upper windlace pieces to finish, noise dampening inside doors, inner door hardware, door handles/latches, door glass, door n' rear mirrors, rear quarter inner hardware and glass, front speaker, heater, radio, glove box, all wiring (courtesy lights included), all dash instrumentation, rear speakers, all noise/heat dampening for floor & rear seat back, carpet, seats, quarter and door panels, final windlace pieces.

Then Exterior
Inner fenders, front headlights w/buckets, marker lights, grille, headlight nacelle, front bumper, park/signal lights,
Rear taillights, rear bumper, gas tank, external radio antenna (if not using windshield version), any Nova related badging you desire.
Front and rear Window installations, window & door exterior trim, full tank of gas, then Sub-frame connectors last.
Install shades, crank the tunes, driver's window down, arm on door, turn-up smile and drive!
Thanks for the breakdown! That's going to help a ton with not having to take something apart that I just installed because I did it in the wrong order not knowing.

I figure I'll have about 3 weeks from when it gets dropped off to to when he is back with fenders and hood. In that time I have to get engine and trans in, the suspension rebuilt and the brakes in. If everything goes smooth, it shouldn't be a problem. But that's like shootin a hole-in-one and this car has a history of being a double bogey course.

At least I'm not missing any car shows because of the car. All from COVID-19. oh well, there's next summer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The paintwork is definitely amazing. Its taken a year and a half in paint purgatory but its done.

I just ordered a slew of odd and ends. Man, these online carts get pricey, and fast!!

I can't find a 1 piece ABS headliner that will ship before the Rapture. So i think i will need to order a bow style. Anyone have any luck with them?

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,973 Posts
I know there are a lot of guys here that do their own but some things like headliners I have decided it's better for me to just have my upholstery guy do. My guy can make them from scratch but I think he actually prefers it when I order the pre fit ones and he just does the install.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just a couple updated shots of the first buffing. I am in complete shock that my car looks like this. These last couple weeks before getting it back are going to have my head spinning.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 74 Posts