Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice work! The engine sounds good also.

I'm not too sure about that engine test stand but you have video proof that it worked!:)
I certainly won't advocate it for continued use or 5,000 rpm pulls. :no: But I knew this engine wouldn't shake it much.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Tooling around a little bit. I lucked into a brand new holley 670 Street Avenger for free last year that wouldnt really be good with the 5 speed. Luckily, the local auto parts store / engine builder had a 750 double pumper he was willing to rebuild for me in trade...

I also took some time and fabbed up some brackets to mount my existing electric fan inside my stock shroud. I posted a question in the Cooling & Heating section, but if anyone has any ideas how to close the gap between the fan and the should, im all ears. Its a 16" fan that pulls plenty of air. Its just getting a lot of its air from the gap vs through the radiator. I'm trying to maximize the surface area of the radiator that gets air current.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, that fan aint gonna work like that. Overheat city. might get by by closing the gap, but probably not. I think I'd pop for a set of duals on the front side as pushers. or just ditch the shroud and put dual fans on the inside.

As for paint color, let me give you a story. I have a Studebaker Truck that I had painted base/clear in 07. High end paint. Prep is everything. it's now failing in spots. however, since it's not a factory color; (google House of Kolor copperhead for the color), it's too difficult to match and will probably all have to come off.

SOOOOO for my Nova, I chose a '16 Nissan Dark Metallic Grey of some sort. It's factory, and can easily be matched by nearly anyone. I can even get scratch kits.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's really good oil pressure.

The fan should be used to pull air from the radiator, not to blow on the block as much.
Yeah, that fan aint gonna work like that. Overheat city.
I have it oriented as a puller to pull through the radiator. Its leaning up against the engine stand. Here's another shot. The wall its leaning on here would be the side the radiator is on. I have it set at the same depth inside the shroud as a mechanical fan would be.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not overly sure the fan will work that far out, it may pull more air through the fins, but have less volume. But then it may also be fine.

Mechanical fans and electrical can be hit or miss. The electric fan may be bigger, but not have the same rpm or volume, or vise versa. Most fans are directly on or 1/2 or so off from the radiator. See what it does, just keep tabs on the temp.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Not overly sure the fan will work that far out, it may pull more air through the fins, but have less volume. But then it may also be fine.

Mechanical fans and electrical can be hit or miss. The electric fan may be bigger, but not have the same rpm or volume, or vise versa. Most fans are directly on or 1/2 or so off from the radiator. See what it does, just keep tabs on the temp.
My theory is if I can get whatever the CFM of the fan is (Which idk) across the whole 23"x18" core, it should cool better than just pulling air through a 16" circle on the core. If I can't get it to not bleed air from the engine side, I'll just scrap the idea and attach it to the radiator with those horrible zip strip things.

Who knows, maybe having it attached to the radiator and blowing out the shroud will have a suction effect on the rest of the radiator.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have enough for an update.

It's been slow going with my guy being in the police academy. hour here, couple hours there.

But he has finished repairing the rust on both fenders and has them straight.

Has the body back on the frame the rear end back in, new radiator support in and the new hood on. The hood fitment is going to take some work, but he'll get it there.

I'm certainly getting pretty anxious. Good thing is my financial investment in the body work is over with.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Its been slow going in the body booth with my guy in the police academy. But he's down to the last couple areas.
With this weekend being Thanksgiving, the wife and I will be back in his area to see family/friends, so I requested any time he had to work on the car be spent prepping and spraying some test color on the new inner fenders I had to get. Originals were so far gone from rust, it didn't make sense to try to fab them up.

Well I think he nailed the color!!!:D:D:yes::yes:

I'll be going by to take a look in person. A couple of the photos make it look a little light. He says from some angles it looks silver, but from most it looks almost black.

https://youtu.be/Vwb9RbjAmoc

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Some mild progress. Car is still in paint purgatory...

Transmission is now mated to the engine with the Hydramax bearing installed.

Just finished modifying a used center console to take the centered position of the stock TKO. Still need to repaint it to match. Grabbed the wrong can.

I still have the rear bumper which needs a lot of love. I got after it with some WD-40 and some #0000 steel wool. Definitely an improvement, but not what I ultimately want.

As far as paint. Last I heard was he needed to weld in the new seat perches, coat the underside, then he would be ready to spray color.
Hoping to hear something soon. Times ticking for getting it driving by summer time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Another look at the color in a little better light. It's darker than I was expecting. I'm still planning to paint SS striping and decals. But they wont include the gold pin stripe. Just the black portions.

I think it's going to be really trippy getting it back with fresh paint on it after seeing it in various states of disaster for almost 15 years...

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
In preparation to get the body back in about a couple weeks, I decided to do some tinkering around on the motor.
I did remove the high volume high pressure oil pump and replaced with a standard unit. I was a little concerned with the 60psi at hot idle.

That lunati voodoo 262 doesnt really have much a lope to it. Sounds a little more lopey at 650-700 rpm but the engine likes 800 better.
800rpm idle
16* advanced
17-17.5 in of vacuum.
Started at 1 1/2 turns out and turned in 3x 1/4 turns. Started reducing vacuum on the 4th turn. I guess shes happy at 3/4 turns out.

Really feeling good about my first engine build!
???

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Some updated photos. He has been working on final wet sand and making sure everything is nice a smooth. Should be spraying jams sometime next week. Then taping off and spraying the rest of the color the next week. This is turning out to be worth the wait....

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Started doing some restor. on the interior. I posted a thread in the Body and Interior forum about the repair on the radio area of this gauge cluster. It had been hogged out by the previous owner for a single din stereo, but he did a hack job and it looked terrible. So I essentially cut it out more and clean, filled it with fiberglass resin and cut out for a retro style radio. Then sprayed it. I still have to go back over it with a silver pen for the accents.

The rest of the hard interior pieces are being cleaned with a general purpose cleaner, degreased and sprayed with Krylon Fusion Satin black . I wasn't sure about this paint, but the finish is really nice. It gives a good luster without being glossy. It also sprayed very nice and I didn't have a single run.

The actual dash pad and door panels will get a vinyl specific coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice work on the dash, kick panels, etc. They came out looking like new.

You're at what is arguably the most exciting point of your restoration (Paint) and can see the pay-off from all your effort now.
But you won't regret taking the extra time from here on to finish everything right versus rushing it out the driveway. Enjoy this time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice work on the dash, kick panels, etc. They came out looking like new.

You're at what is arguably the most exciting point of your restoration (Paint) and can see the pay-off from all your effort now.
But you won't regret taking the extra time from here on to finish everything right versus rushing it out the driveway. Enjoy this time.
Thanks, it really has cascaded from "just wanting the radio to not look jacked" to restoring the whole interior.

I finally got my cluster indicators delivered and installed. Not it looks complete minus the silver leafing.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 74 Posts