Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1969, what would be the cause of a automatic floor shifter to lock up and be unable to move with NO linkage hooked-up?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
It's the tee handle style with the big black button, right?

The button presses down on a cable, or linkage, that is inside the chrome shaft and when you press down on it it allows the tab at the bottom of the linkage to clear the detent and allow to change gears. In the attached picture you can see there's a spring below the "tab". Yours must be "frozen" or "siezed" up.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot. this gives me something to work with. Is it a big task to free up? What about availability of replacement parts? Is this the same type as used in the '67 Camaros?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I am not sure about the 67 Camaro shifter being the same, but it may be.

It's real easy to remove the shifter handle ... just take off that nut you see at the base of the shaft where it attaches to the gray thingy in my picture (I don't know what to call it. So take apart and shoot some WD40 in there to free it up. Depends onwhats wrong with it ... it may or may not work.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Heres a link for shifter parts. I have used this company when I rebuilt the shifter for my 68. Very informative site and fast delivery of parts!!

P.S. 1967 Camaro shifters are the same as 68-72 Nova's

http://www.shiftworks.com/nova.htm#68-72nova
Wow! That's a great link. i wish I knew about those people when I pieced together a console shifter set up and paid a fortune through Classic Industries. :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts