Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finnally got the gumption to try to build a console for my car , i got the push from a member here , i took and bought a rear armrest storage box from a 73-81 camaro/firebird and made that work just gota remount my shifter then ad some lights ,put my electric window switch in and then have it covered with leather i think it turned out ok, notice the hole for a double din reciver... :yes:- im glad im getting the dakota digital gauges it gave me the push to dump the vintage air duct work hanging off the dash ,and the gauges that used to reside there , it should look much cleaner when done.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks , ya know i had no clue on where to start with this thing , i did copy the front from the member here that showed me his , but he had a bench seat so i took it a bit farther and added the armrest...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
jim whats next? are you going to glass it and sand it? round out the edges?

looks great cant wait for the finished product.

-jim

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
THAT'S AWESOME WORK FOR A FIRST TIMER ON THIS! I'M IMPRESSED, BIG TIME! :notworthy:

·
Registered
885 Posts

-jim
Some good points made. the less boxy the better it will look. My vote is have it covered vinyl. That way it will blend in better with the rest of your interior. Don't forget a cup holder if it will fit.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

-jim
ya know i thought about the glass, that would be great , it would round out the corners and just smooth it out, problem is i stinko at glass , not only would it smooth it out it would make it way strong too. i used to have a friend that made custom surfboards , but i havent seeen him in 10 years... i need to find someone to do that for me..

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some good points made. the less boxy the better it will look. My vote is have it covered vinyl. That way it will blend in better with the rest of your interior. Don't forget a cup holder if it will fit.
yeah i was thinking leather, and no room for cup holder , that shifter takes up so much room , then i have my power window switch. no space left..i was thinking about having one hang off the right hand side, but that may ruin it . im in no hurry as im also yanking out the carpet to the newer style cut pile, i dont like the old loop kind. and i thought my car was done...NEVER , like someone said the other day, ( it is a sickness) good thing i dont have a wife anymore she be mad at me all the time, whenever fed ex and ups show up...:slap:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont think i have even close to the skill needed to make this thing look nice, its kinda like the centerpiece of the car.. im going to call a few other places tomorrow,maybe "west coast customs" could do it for me in like 15 minutes time.you know how they always have these impossible deadlines to get builds done.. :yes:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
There is no way that is a 400 dollar wrap. Go to a fabric store get some spray adhesive and try it yourself with some cheap fabric. Just my .02 for you tho. Console looks great tho.

Another route is to try the glass, the bondo stuff is pretty simple to work with. Glass it up and put a nice glossy paint on it.

You can do it man! :yes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can def. wrap it yourself. Its not that hard. Set aside a saturday to to it, and just take your time. Get twice the material that you will need just incase. Get some 3m 77 spray adhesive, and spray both the material and the console. Remember, there IS a grain to the vinyl/leather. And it will stretch better with the grain then against.

You can do it brother, give it a shot :yes:

OR, get speaker grill cloth. It stretches really nice in all directions and really soaks up contours nice. Just be careful on the spray adhesive if you go that route. You want it on both sides, but too heavy and it will soak through the grill cloth.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Looks great Jim. Give the guy a call I suggested and if it is to high I agree you can do it yourself. You got skills . Like was suggested buy extra material and dive in.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thing is, you could spend hours and hours, and screw up 10 times, and still not spend that much.

Depending on the look you want. You could lay vinyl over it using spray adhesive, or if you want it to be more rounded, lay thin foam over, and then the vinyl. Assuming you are using vinyl anyways.

If you could make that a nice solid frame, you can definitely wrap it up nicely

1 - 20 of 61 Posts