Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone fit, or tried to - one of the B&M or similar aftermarket shifters into a Gen 4 Nova Console ?

Anyone know if the 70-81 Camaro version will work / fit ?

I thought the Camaro one might work, but photos show it as maybe being slightly wider, or more tapered ?
Anyone know if a stock camaro shifter fits into the Nova console ?
( assume if the stock F car shifter fits, the aftermarket one will )

~ AL

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Check with Scott at Nova Resource. I know he is running a Nova Console with a Aftermarket shifter. And I am in process of having a console covered (Factory Nova) ands I am fitting a B&M Shifter to it. I will show pics as soon as I am done

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2slow72 said:
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=365099009&security=DNSnuS

Should be a few shots here on my Quicksilver install...loved that shifter!
couldn't get the link to work :(

did you use the 'regular' quicksilver - and made it fit the console ?

or the specific 'console mount' version ?

I actually have a new in the box B&M Mega-Shifter (the generic version), but have not tried to make it fit.

I'm trying to weigh my options, since the car's under construction (leaving right after I post this,as a matter of fact, to dad's shop) - I was debating a swap to 4 speed, since I seem to have most of the pieces (pedals,floor hump,just need a V8 Z-bar), but then thinking the auto, in a stock console ( which I also have), would be neat, especially since the console I have does not have the stock shifter with it anyways.
SO.. debate goes on, lol .. car was originally an auto,column shift,bench seat - the factory bucket seat brackets are mostly installed now, and I have the 'floor shift' column and dash to go in during final assembly - need to decide on the trans,etc so we acn finish the bodywork and paint the interior, etc.
might see the light of day sometime (only been 4-5 years off and on,seems more 'off' last couple :( ... so you guys have to bug me to keep motivated;)

~ AL

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Scott-

The cover for the shifter body looks custom. (Nice job, BTW.)

Did you ever try to fit one of the shifter covers offered for the Camaro consoles?

Jay

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Novajay said:
Scott-
The cover for the shifter body looks custom. (Nice job, BTW.)
Yes, it is, thanks. Basically it's just clear plexiglass that I cut to shape and spray painted black on the bottom side.
Did you ever try to fit one of the shifter covers offered for the Camaro consoles?
I look into it and it's a different shape. Bacically the top for the 2nd gen Camaro is slightly wider and shorter.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Green Dragon said:
couldn't get the link to work :(

did you use the 'regular' quicksilver - and made it fit the console ?

or the specific 'console mount' version ?

I actually have a new in the box B&M Mega-Shifter (the generic version), but have not tried to make it fit.

I'm trying to weigh my options, since the car's under construction (leaving right after I post this,as a matter of fact, to dad's shop) - I was debating a swap to 4 speed, since I seem to have most of the pieces (pedals,floor hump,just need a V8 Z-bar), but then thinking the auto, in a stock console ( which I also have), would be neat, especially since the console I have does not have the stock shifter with it anyways.
SO.. debate goes on, lol .. car was originally an auto,column shift,bench seat - the factory bucket seat brackets are mostly installed now, and I have the 'floor shift' column and dash to go in during final assembly - need to decide on the trans,etc so we acn finish the bodywork and paint the interior, etc.
might see the light of day sometime (only been 4-5 years off and on,seems more 'off' last couple :( ... so you guys have to bug me to keep motivated;)

~ AL
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/7xnova/Shifter3.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/7xnova/Shifter2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/7xnova/Shifter1.jpg

See if these pics will show up...

I looked at several and found the Quicksilver was the best fit...it has a longer handle that fit's the console better.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NovaResource said:
Yes, it is, thanks. Basically it's just clear plexiglass that I cut to shape and spray painted black on the bottom side.

I look into it and it's a different shape. Bacically the top for the 2nd gen Camaro is slightly wider and shorter.
QUOTE]

OK, thanks Scott - that's what i thought from photos I have, is the camaro opening / cover looked wider.

one more question, then ( I can make a cover if need be ), is - did you use the "console mount' shifter, or just a 'fits all' shifter ?

bottom line - can I make my 'regular generic Mega-shifter' fit the console with a custom cover, or is there some other difference ( ie: custom heights, or similar to fit the consoles ).

~ AL

thinking the ratchet shifted auto will be less work and less cost than swap to a 4 speed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NovaResource said:
Mine is the universal one. I don't know the height of the Megashifter but if it's low enough to fit under the console, it should work.
Great - thanks ( to all) for the info , will try the fit of the generic Megashifter and see how it fits .
Will keep posted as progress is slowly being made.

Not quite ready for the interior , as photo below shows ( taken yesterday )

* sees visions in head of it all done and awesome * sigh *

~ AL

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Green Dragon said:
yep, those showed up fine, looks good.

if I'm following along ok - you just mounted the quicksilver into the stock console ( ie" the top cover around the shift lever is original Nova ? )

~ AL
Yes the stock Nova console fit with a bit of clearancing of the bottom of the console where the shifter would move through the pattern.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I was going to change mine,But it is a factory slap stick and works great so i figured why bother.Most people dont realize it if they have one.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1975ssnova said:
I was going to change mine,But it is a factory slap stick and works great so i figured why bother.Most people dont realize it if they have one.
I'd heard that some of the factory shifters can work as a 'slap-stick' / ratchet shifter.

Is there certain years / models that have that capability ?

How do I know if the factory style one is the slap-stick type ?

I'd have to hunt up a shifter, I have the console, and my car was originally a bench seat, so , again , weighing my options so I can gather parts,decide what works best,etc.

Thanks for all the advise / input.

~ AL

off in a few to brave the frigid NY weather , and go work on the beater some more
:beer:<-- make that a nice hot chocolate for today.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry for my noob question, but whats the advantage of a aftermarket shifter compared to the OEM?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Canter said:
Sorry for my noob question, but whats the advantage of a aftermarket shifter compared to the OEM?
No problem , welcome to the forum ( I'm a reletive newbie meself).

Basically, in a nutshell - the aftermarket shifters are smoother in operation, and stronger.
Also most have other features,such as ratchet action, reverse valve body use, reverse lock-out,etc.

However, the stock 4th gen console shifter DOES have a reverse lock-out that is NHRA legal, and another furum member posted some have the ratchet cabability.
basically, the ratchet allows you to shift manually down to low / 1st gear.
then when pushed forward, shifts to second, then third - better for racing to shift when you want it to, otherwise, as in the case on my 69 I had, if left to shift, it would go through 1-2-3 in 60 feet, leaving high gear to pull the car.

Specifically, for my g-machine project, I'm looking at the B&M Megashifter exclusively, because it ratchets BOTH directions .

so, when coming into a tight corner,for example, then I could just click it back and downshift (drive it more like a stick car).
will need a heavy duty cooler for the abuse, but I was told an auto should hold up and I don't "need" to swap to a 4 speed.

Hope that helps some, not confusing more, lol ... maybe someone else will post a condensed version.:)

~ AL

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey AL!

Thank you for the detailled info! Helped alot. Now i want one too :D
Everything makes sense now.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Also put a console in My car over winter with the gauge pack by Autometer. I made my shifter work in mine also

As you can see I have changed a lot of stuff on mine over winter

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Looks good, Bruce. Starting to look like an airplane interior with all the gauges. (Kidding, of course.)

Just add wings and you could fly................

1 - 20 of 27 Posts