Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
console 3 gen in a 4 gen changed mind fixing gen 4

i was thinking of maybe using a gen 3 console in my 77

the reason is since the console i have is from a 75 that somebody else hacked up for a automatic

problems

1 hacked up

2 i no longer have a 4 speed hump because the floor reworked for the tremec

3 shifter different spot because of the tremec

4 the 75 gauges do me no good , since i have the same gauges in the dash

so here my thought was to use a gen 3 console with auto meter gauge pod
cut down to only two gauges mounted on the front

move the whole console back to center shifter front to back

then either modifying a auto

or a 4 speed one

has any one done this if so got pics ?

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
If you already have the 3rd gen console go for it. Should be no reason you can not make it work.

I used a 4th gen console for an auto trans and had to move it forward about an inch to get the shifter centered in the auto shifter slot and open up the hole.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phillip yours sure came out nice

not sure why i am even giving a thought now since i still have much to do before i get the point that i need to think about a console ,

since i have the rally gauges the only thing i can think of that i am missing is the oil psi , guess i could add fuel mixture /o2

i got clock tach ,speed, bat and engine temp

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
This style 4th gen console did not have gauges in it. The front were the gauges are was a storage bin. The panel is for a 69 Camaro and added to the console.

This is the front of the console, the holes were drilled for the gauge panel.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I did same thing Philip and cut out where shifter came through and made a plate to surround my quarter stick shifter

Sent from my VS840 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking at phillps i notice that he has the power window switch
in his console what is the reason for that , or is that the way they were ?

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
No that switch was in the drivers door and a single switch in the passenger door. Moved it to the console and eliminated the other one when the power windows were installed. There is very little on my car that was the way the factory built it :)

Did you notice the location of the gas gauge in the photo?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No that switch was in the drivers door and a single switch in the passenger door. Moved it to the console and eliminated the other one when the power windows were installed. There is very little on my car that was the way the factory built it :)

Did you notice the location of the gas gauge in the photo?
okay , i got all the stuff to do the power windows from another member , its on the list to do ,

how do you like them there ? did the power window switches go the sam place as the window cranks did ? or am i going to have holes left over in the panels i have on the car with the crank windows

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
The switch location is real close. It is the square hole in the photo to the right of the spring. Compare that to the crank location with your panel off. The holes circled in white were the mounts for the manual regulators.

You will also need window stops, the manual windows did not require them.

Using clip nuts and short 1/4 20 bolts makes installation easier.

To have the windows move smoothly the run channel rubber needs to be replaced. It has a fuzzy surface when new and as that wears off the amount of drag on the glass increases. My window moves so easy the button can be released and it will coast another 1/2".

Installing the switch in the console IMO is a better place for it. Only one is needed and both front seat passengers can access it. I installed new panels so there were no holes to cover, the manual lock knob was also removed. Electric lock actuators were installed and the switch for them and the trunk release are in the ash tray.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
once again you have saved my butt phillip

i do not have the window stops i will messenger the member i the power windows and lock and see if he throw out the doors already

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
console update

after giving it some more thought maybe the gen 3 console is not hte way i want to go , so now i am back to maybe using the gen 4 i already have

on complaint is no cup holders and there is the shifter location problem

so here is my first try at a cardboard test

i found some cup holder inserts on ebay for a couple of bucks ,but i do not have them yet so the cut down bottles just are showing where they may go

this is just the frist try , not sure and the shifter boot , i good heavy duty one to seal things under the console and then maybe just a small light weight one mounted on top of the plate

any suggestions ?

oh now i seed i need a heater delector that i do not have where the heck do i find one of those

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your console mockup looks great. The heater delete is rare, youd be better off making a flat panel yourself.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your console mockup looks great. The heater delete is rare, youd be better off making a flat panel yourself.
thanks

not looking to delete the heater , there is a defector that sends the heat around the console instead ,because the console blocks it any gen 4 with a auto or stick console would have come with one , of course i did know that when i striped my 76 , one again it was Phillips build that pointed it out to me

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
Okay, the window stops in my car are from a 79 Olds 98. GM used them on a lot of different models. The air deflector you see in my car is from a 77 Omega. The console was moved forward so the Nova console deflector would not fit.
Here are the 3 styles I am aware of
Top, Nova with console, lower left Omega with console, lower right standard.

The floor around my shifter was sealed with a large boot and covered with carpet. The boot you can see on the console came from Autozone and hides the end of the slot from the auto shifter. Your mock up looks good.

I have purchased a lot of stuff from Micheal's, a craft supply store. They know me there as "that car guy" :). Some real hotties work and shop there too, but if you are old, fat and bald like me they tend to not be interested :devil:

·
Registered
582 Posts
thanks

not looking to delete the heater , there is a defector that sends the heat around the console instead ,because the console blocks it any gen 4 with a auto or stick console would have come with one , of course i did know that when i striped my 76 , one again it was Phillips build that pointed it out to me
Youre going to have to look for that one... Someone around here maybe? Not sure but maybe they are made for console Camaros too and that might be easier to find repro. The heater box is the same. Just thinking.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well mine is in the stock location front to back

so i should be okay with a nova deflector , if i can find one

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Just an offer of advice I like how you set up your console, I modified mine with plexiglass to fill in where needed, I had my console wrapped with material that my interior has in it, a Black sorta burlap I guess it is tweed, Any way when you get the design all figured out use the plexi to make the parts and superglue them to your console, Once it is how you want it, Have it wrapped,Just a thought

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an offer of advice I like how you set up your console, I modified mine with plexiglass to fill in where needed, I had my console wrapped with material that my interior has in it, a Black sorta burlap I guess it is tweed, Any way when you get the design all figured out use the plexi to make the parts and superglue them to your console, Once it is how you want it, Have it wrapped,Just a thought
thats a great idea i did not think of using plexiglass

got a link to a pic of your console ?

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
OK here is Photo, The white lines I added to show where I modified Mine I cut it out in that area and then set it down over that shifter I now cut Plexi to fill in, After Super gluing it I had it wrapped, My console is out of a 77 and I did same as Philip and then had it wrapped, mine was a red but very dirty and rough so I made it worth something cause what I started with was very rough, Any ways here is photo

Oh yea and See a Covan,s Classic Dash does work in a 76, those idiots argued with me that they don't fit anything newer than 74, If you make parts for a car at least know the Car or ask, I still chuckle about that one

1 - 20 of 41 Posts