·
Registered
605 Posts
From a popular,
reliable builder,

383/510 Dart. $7395
427/628 Dart. $10225

Did you do the math ?
Without knowing the internal parts used in each, you can't make any comparison at that point....you could be comparing a cast crank, hyper piston, Sportsman I-beam 383 SBC with a lightweight forged crank, Race rods, and forged pistons 427 SBC. Thus the difference in cost.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
even if though his block is free? thinking that is his advantage here; something he already has versus having to buy another block. unless this is a misunderstanding on my part.

enjoying the discussion, though!

-Rusty
All I'm talking about is a true apples to apples comparison. I like the small engines. They are fun to play with. I worked with the same 355/powerglide combination for over a dozen years but there is no magic in them. Larger engines produce more power on a consistent basis. I'm not trying to talk anybody out of anything. I enjoy the back and forth also. I guess it's the old street racer in me.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Without knowing the internal parts used in each, you can't make any comparison at that point....you could be comparing a cast crank, hyper piston, Sportsman I-beam 383 SBC with a lightweight forged crank, Race rods, and forged pistons 427 SBC. Thus the difference in cost.
Both engines from same builder, as stated, built w/very similar parts.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Both engines from same builder, as stated, built w/very similar parts.
So link it up, so we can see if the parts truly are similar grade....bacause a 3.25" stroke forged crank is the same cost as the 3.875" crank, if rods are the same the cost is the same, and yada yada yada for everything else...if it is the same grade is costs the same, regardless of whether it is for a 327" spec or a 427" spec.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
With all of the talk of horse power between cubic inches what do you plan to do with your Nova?? is it strictly a track car or is it a road course car?? or just a weekend cruiser?? the early cars were designed basic transportation!! as they evolved you could buy more high performance as far as engine and transmission combo's with little or no suspension and brakes upgrades. by no means are the first and second cars corner carvers and braking is caveman like at best. I have owned one since 1986, so as teenager I did not know any better I thought it drove great and then came a warmed over small block 283 and the weakness of marginal suspension and brakes show up. fast forward to present day my 63 is completely restored stock appearing. I have an original 327 L-79 between the fenders it was professional enhanced by an old school engine builder. the car has both subframes professionally tied together, CBR front suspension, disc brakes, Auto Gear M22 close ratio four speed and a Moser 12 bolt rear differential. I would say this 327 is still a little much for my first gen. so the question is you build all of these high horse engines where do exercise them besides the track?? traffic in my part of the world is excessive and dodgy at best!! I did not spend a ton of money building my car I did most of the work myself and traded labor the paint work I purchased the 327 from a friend with all of the high end internals with it. if I had to do it all over again I would use an LS engine endless horsepower options for way less money!! and killer gas mileage. my 63 goes like a rocket, corners and stops and looks old school.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts

I prefer a small sword. Here is mine. She is shaving sharp.

Seax:

Steel: 1084 and 15n20 The blade is made up of four bars. The two nearest the spine are opposing twist, the one in the middle is serpent, and the edge bar is random.
Hardness: probably around 58
Blade length: 16"
Total length: 22"
Blade thickness: a bit under 5/16" at the ricasso
Handle material: african blackwood with a nickel silver "bolster plate" and a stainless pin

Reactions: g2072

·
Registered
145 Posts
View attachment 415705 View attachment 415706

I prefer a small sword. Here is mine. She is shaving sharp.

Seax:

Steel: 1084 and 15n20 The blade is made up of four bars. The two nearest the spine are opposing twist, the one in the middle is serpent, and the edge bar is random.
Hardness: probably around 58
Blade length: 16"
Total length: 22"
Blade thickness: a bit under 5/16" at the ricasso
Handle material: african blackwood with a nickel silver "bolster plate" and a stainless pin
nice seax

121 - 133 of 133 Posts