Chevy Nova Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Banned
183 Posts
Some get quite the thrill
outrunning big CID stuff.

I think a DZ powered ‘63 Nova would be awesome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a 327, but if I'm going to spend a lot of money on an NA engine I'd rather build a 415, 421, 427 sbc. There is no way I'm giving up 100 cubic inches for no reason when the parts basically cost the same.
I don't get why this is so hard to comprehend.

I get it, a small high reving motor is cool but I'll take more cubes any day for the hp/$$$.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a 327, but if I'm going to spend a lot of money on an NA engine I'd rather build a 415, 421, 427 sbc. There is no way I'm giving up 100 cubic inches for no reason when the parts basically cost the same.
Yep. You will spend more money to make a small inch motor go faster. Only reason I would build a small motor is for a class qualification car. I’ve been around super stock cars since I can remember. A guy I know still races and holds records with his 327 SS/GTA 66 nova and 55 Chevy wagon. They are definitely a cool car. Those little small blocks sound nasty when they are completely built full effort...but they are strictly a race car and the maintenance and money in the valve train alone is insane.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Some get quite the thrill
outrunning big CID stuff.

I think a DZ powered ‘63 Nova would be awesome.
Yep, and there be a 2 bus lengths GAP between you and the same car with a 427" SBC that cost you the same coin to build...you looking at his taillights every time

·
Banned
183 Posts
Yep, and there be a 2 bus lengths GAP between you and the same car with a 427" SBC that cost you the same coin to build...you looking at his taillights every time
From a popular,
reliable builder,

383/510 Dart. $7395
427/628 Dart. $10225

Did you do the math ?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
From a popular,
reliable builder,

383/510 Dart. $7395
427/628 Dart. $10225

Did you do the math ?
Obviously that smaller inch motor is less money...is it as quick and efficient as the bigger inch motor....no. Guess it’s all what you are after...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Obviously that smaller inch motor is less money...is it as quick and efficient as the bigger inch motor....no. Guess it’s all what you are after...
I’m not sure either. Hp = dollars. The 427 is a 1.47 hp/cu in motor, the 383 is a 1.33 hp /cu in motor. Build the 383 to make 565 hp and the costs are equal. My 565 was a 1.75 hp/ cu in motor. And it wasn’t too much more than the 427.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
From a popular,
reliable builder,

383/510 Dart. $7395
427/628 Dart. $10225

Did you do the math ?
I'll make it easy. You can build a 327 engine any way you want with any parts you want with the stipulation that every dollar you spend you have to put a dollar in a five gallon bucket to match it. When you get through building your engine and putting it in a car I'll take the money out of the bucket and build a larger engine and put it in the same car and go faster. I grew up in a time where you didn't just pick up the phone and order fancy racing parts or engines. We had to take what we had and learn how to tune them to make them run. My first engine was a .060 over 327. It had 291 heads, a small iskenderian roller camshaft, a used aluminum intake and a worn out 650 double pumper. I tuned on it until I put the 355 in. I promise you nobody is going to put a 327 in a car and run near anything I build. I'm not saying I don't love the small journal 327 engine. I'm not saying you cannot make them run. I'm not saying they don't sound great but what I am saying is that when apples are compared to apples the larger engine is going to win every time if the person building the larger engine knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
So how is a ‘67 DZ 302
winningest NHRA car ever ?
Come on, cool though.
I'll make it easy. You can build a 327 engine any way you want with any parts you want with the stipulation that every dollar you spend you have to put a dollar in a five gallon bucket to match it. When you get through building your engine and putting it in a car I'll take the money out of the bucket and build a larger engine and put it in the same car and go faster. I grew up in a time where you didn't just pick up the phone and order fancy racing parts or engines. We had to take what we had and learn how to tune them to make them run. My first engine was a .060 over 327. It had 291 heads, a small iskenderian roller camshaft, a used aluminum intake and a worn out 650 double pumper. I tuned on it until I put the 355 in. I promise you nobody is going to put a 327 in a car and run near anything I build. I'm not saying I don't love the small journal 327 engine. I'm not saying you cannot make them run. I'm not saying they don't sound great but what I am saying is that when apples are compared to apples the larger engine is going to win every time if the person building the larger engine knows what they are doing.
I agree, my son and I built a mild small journal 327 for our 79 1/2 ton truck just because we had the nice virgin 1967 core, would it be faster with a bigger engine-YES, but its fun truck and could probably run 11s in the right conditions.
What my son did learn was not to be a bubble packer, and how to make production GM parts run hard.

·
Registered
394 Posts
One thing I forgot to post, your not building any engine done right dollar for dollar for what I have in this 327.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So how is a ‘67 DZ 302
winningest NHRA car ever ?
302”/327”/350”/383” are the basically the same 4” bore SBC with different strokes, of course. As you go down the line, the smaller engine will make more HP PER cubic inch, and the larger engine will always make more total power with identical components. In NHRA class racing the “factor” that is attached to the motor is everything. I read somewhere that some older Oldsmobile V8, a 303”?, rated at 130hp was almost untouchable.

·
Registered
816 Posts
even if though his block is free? thinking that is his advantage here; something he already has versus having to buy another block. unless this is a misunderstanding on my part.

enjoying the discussion, though!

-Rusty

101 - 120 of 133 Posts