Looks like a couple
racers need a new
venue. SEGA started
up by Quain Stott,
3 time Pro Mod Champ.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I don't miss it after 3 years. I was never in love with the driving. I did it because I had to. I loved building engines. I have some pictures on the wall in the basement and people still ooh and ahh over the wheels up pictures, but I have no desire to start up again.
I feel the same way. I was down to five cars in Memphis one night and in the pair in front of me a dragster blew a transmission line. I guess it was a little slick or they missed something but the car swapped ends and I took the 330 cone out with the passenger side door. Later on in the trailer I got to thinking about really wrecking the car and it made me sick to my stomach. I was in a bad wreck early in life street racing and I got to the point I couldn't really get comfortable in the car. I could make the car run faster than I was comfortable driving it. I took that as a sign that it was time to do something else. I had saved to build the car but if something would have happened to it I couldn't have afforded to rebuild it. Now I have to pretty much stay away from race tracks. It is in my blood and I don't want to get sucked back in. The experience really helps when building a street car. My little 65 is probably faster than my first race car and get's 16-17 miles per gallon with the AC on. I really enjoy being able to get in my car and go anywhere I want while still having the performance it does. Hoping my 66 will even be better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm considering building a high rpm race motor out of this nice old small journal 1967 327 . I've got some ideas that I'll lay out here and I'd like some good solid constructive advice/ criticism from guys that are more knowledgable than myself. I'll lay out what my idea is below and then whoever wants to....go ahead and let me hear it / have it lol
I'm currently building a 385 torky for street use that wont see more than about quarter after 6 that's gonna go in my 66 chevelle this spring .
But on with the 327 plan/idea .
This piece of history has been layin on the floor since 03 when I traded an 83 350 882 headed mexican block s h itster for it lol
It's been begging me ever since .
Im thinking maybe build this thing to twist 8300 rpm max 450 to 500 power at about 8 grand with a very long duration high lift cam and run a 456 gear with a stout th350. 13 to 1 or more CR
First off I'm thinking I need to build as much torque as I can because of the smaller inches.
How to do that is the big question along with the small cubes lol
So now I dont think I can put a 350 crank in this block seeing as it's small journal but correct me if I'm wrong .
I'm going to assume for the moment that I cant . So if that's the case I guess I'd be better to use the 327 crank that's in the block now for more torque versus putting a 283 crank in it and destroke it to a 302 . If I did the latter I could spin it to the moon but is there a way I can get more torque that way ??
Longer rods ?? Idk .
OR might I be better off with the 327 crank ?? And if that's the case the question of building torque still begs .
And how much can I would I should I bore this block given the stated goal ?
Then for up top maybe a small cc runner head ?? 180cc or less ??
Then I thought I'd run a true dual plane without a cut out in the divider with quite a bit of carb on top and maybe an anular booster. The smaller heads and the dual plane intake ought to help out with the torque I'm thinking but again I'm wide open for any suggestions or critique. I'll take anything you got other than " start with bigger inches "
Because this is what I got and it's a 67 and it's cool and I want to build it and thats my story and I'm stickin to it lol
Yeah you’re gonna spend a fortune on that old school 327 and some one with a stock LS 5.3 is gonna blow your doors off

·
Banned
183 Posts
Yeah you’re gonna spend a fortune on that old school 327 and some one with a stock LS 5.3 is gonna blow your doors off
“Once the clock struck midnight in this Cinderella story, the little Chevy twisted the dials to a whopping 529 horsepower, and 481 ft-lb of torque. Had I said last December that I knew we could make that kind of power with such a short stroke, surely my nose would have grown an inch”

Chevy Small-Block “327 Outputting 462 Horsepower
The Other Small-Block”
IMO, Nova powered by L79 tribute
would be epic.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
“Once the clock struck midnight in this Cinderella story, the little Chevy twisted the dials to a whopping 529 horsepower, and 481 ft-lb of torque. Had I said last December that I knew we could make that kind of power with such a short stroke, surely my nose would have grown an inch”

Chevy Small-Block “327 Outputting 462 Horsepower
The Other Small-Block”
IMO, Nova powered by L79 tribute
would be epic.
That's not really comparing apples to apples. You're comparing an entry for the Engine Masters Challenge to what the average person can build. Not really valid. That is like saying a $30,000 700hp 287 cubic inch Comp eliminator motor is what everyone is running in their street cars and comparing it to a 600hp big block chevy. I'm not saying that there aren't good 327 combos, but what the average person can afford and average backyard hobbyist skill is not this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's not really comparing apples to apples. You're comparing an entry for the Engine Masters Challenge to what the average person can build. Not really valid. That is like saying a $30,000 700hp 287 cubic inch Comp eliminator motor is what everyone is running in their street cars and comparing it to a 600hp big block chevy. I'm not saying that there aren't good 327 combos, but what the average person can afford and average backyard hobbyist skill is not this.
Dollar for dollar you're better off with more cubic inches. If you just want the cool factor of a high reving small displacement engine go for it but to call it a cheaper means to an end is just nonsensical.

500hp at 6000 rpm out of a 400 is going to be a lot cheaper than 500 hp at 8500 rpm on a 327. Or it will at least be a lot longer lived and much more streetable if that is part of the goal. The same cam that makes peak power at 8500 isn't going to do much at 3000.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Yep. Couldn’t have said it any better...

·
Premium Member
163 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
And BTW the world class builders ALLWAYS build for torque.
Between about 1.35 and 1.47 to 1 torque to cubes.
So yeah I'll build for torque every time.
Go and get your black and decker circular saw and I'll chew it up and spit it out with a worm gear saw EVERY TIME
[/QUOTE

Whats faster down a drag strip, Engine 1. OR Engine 2.

1. 500 TQ @ 3800 RPM with 500 HP @ 5500 RPM
2. 460 TQ @ 5200 RPM with 500 HP @ 6600 RPM

·
Registered
113 Posts
And BTW the world class builders ALLWAYS build for torque.
I wish hp would just be dropped from use
expanding gasses exert a force
the force on pistons is converted to rotational force, which is torque
all an engine makes is torque
all that is measured is torque
anyone that thinks you build for anything other than torque is mistaken
what people call building for hp is simply building for torque at a higher rpm
a torque curve is all that is needed

people just like to talk bigger numbers so when someone says an engine makes torque they just mean the rpm range is low enough torque number are higher than what the calculated hp is.
and then people talk hp when rpm range is high enough that the calculated hp is a bigger number

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wish hp would just be dropped from use
expanding gasses exert a force
the force on pistons is converted to rotational force, which is torque
all an engine makes is torque
all that is measured is torque
anyone that thinks you build for anything other than torque is mistaken
what people call building for hp is simply building for torque at a higher rpm
a torque curve is all that is needed

people just like to talk bigger numbers so when someone says an engine makes torque they just mean the rpm range is low enough torque number are higher than what the calculated hp is.
and then people talk hp when rpm range is high enough that the calculated hp is a bigger number
I build for high RPM HP.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Listening to you describe what you want to do reminded me of this video.

467 HP @7800
380 TQ ?
3150 pounds
296 inches 220 HP
1.780 intake valve
Flattop piston
420 CFM auto lite carb
10.27 @ 127

Hi RPM HP utilizing gearing to get down the track, don't fool yourself.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's right. Its the time (RPM) part if the equation that makes a difference when racing.

A 5,000ftlb engine that turned 25rpm would be amazing for a lot of things. But pretty useless for drag racing.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Over time, I’ve noticed
most who speak of
torque have big CID,
lethargic, under performing
motors.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a 327, but if I'm going to spend a lot of money on an NA engine I'd rather build a 415, 421, 427 sbc. There is no way I'm giving up 100 cubic inches for no reason when the parts basically cost the same.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
81 - 100 of 133 Posts