1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Looks like Duane posted a pic on how to measure in the other thread and yep the sliding back and forth is normal. At least on the few I have done.;)

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Duane, I copied your post from the other thread. Thanks!!! I see the side clearance should be between 0.010 - 0.020".

69NovaSS said:
stick the feeler guages between the rods at the journal.....hopefully you will find one feeler guage that is the right thickness but if you need too you can use more then one feeler guage at the same time to get the measurment and just add up their thicknesses.....kapish?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Duane, I copied your post from the other thread. Thanks!!! I see the side clearance should be between 0.010 - 0.020".
thats cool man...NPHNP.....furget that secret double knot stuff....err I mean that secret squirrel stuff:rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, got a chance to measure the side clearances on the budget blue light special shortblock:

7-8: .021"
5-6: .017"
3-4: .012"
1-2: .018"

According to Small-Block-Chevy.com, the common clearances range from .010" - .020". Are mine within acceptable tolerances?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The factory service manual would really come in handy here. It has all the clearances and the method for measuring. I get nervous taking critical engine parameters off a website, even a well known one. There's always a chance that they made a typo.

Keith
64v8ss4spd
:chev:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Justin, where did you get your info from? An assembly manual?

It really depends on what books you read....I have a Haynes manual here specificly for the '69-79 Nova which covers all V8 motors from 262-396...it says for the 350 the rod side clearance should be .008"-.014"

Chevy High Performance put out a book with a bunch of engine buildups in it called "Small-Block Chevy Engine Buildups". they list the rod side clearance as .009"-.013"

There is another book called "Small-Block Chevy Performance" and they list the rod side clearance as.019"-.025"

I also have the tenth edition of the "Petersons Big Book of Auto Repair" book that comes with complete specs on all 1967-1983 American Cars. They list the rod sode clearance as .009"-.013"

So like I said it depends on who you read...BUT as you can see most are in the same ball park range of tolerances...

However no matter what your clearance is if its way outta wack there isnt an easy fix other than trying different rods or crank...

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
OK I'm really dumb on this...
if they slide around doesn't that change the clearence?
Do you slide them as far apart as you can by hand to measure?
pry with a tool?
If you don't come up with thos specs how do you adjust?

This is somethign I've never figured out HELP

Mark (needs lots of help!)

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
69NovaSS said:
It really depends on what books you read....I have a Haynes manual here specificly for the '69-79 Nova which covers all V8 motors from 262-396...it says for the 350 the rod side clearance should be .008"-.014"

Chevy High Performance put out a book with a bunch of engine buildups in it called "Small-Block Chevy Engine Buildups". they list the rod side clearance as .009"-.013"

There is another book called "Small-Block Chevy Performance" and they list the rod side clearance as.019"-.025"

I also have the tenth edition of the "Petersons Big Book of Auto Repair" book that comes with complete specs on all 1967-1983 American Cars. They list the rod sode clearance as .009"-.013"

So like I said it depends on who you read...BUT as you can see most are in the same ball park range of tolerances...

However no matter what your clearance is if its way outta wack there isnt an easy fix other than trying different rods or crank...
LOL, looks like there's a gamut of acceptable ranges. When I pull my current motor out of the Nova, I'll be curious to see what some of it's measurements come in at.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
ChevyII MD said:
OK I'm really dumb on this...
if they slide around doesn't that change the clearence?
Do you slide them as far apart as you can by hand to measure?
pry with a tool?
If you don't come up with thos specs how do you adjust?

This is somethign I've never figured out HELP

Mark (needs lots of help!)

I dont think you need anything more then your hand to pry them apart and then insert the feeler guage between them...(they move easily so there really isnt prying involved..if you get what I mean)

If there is too little clearance the rods themselves can be narrowed...if there is too much clearance I think the only way to correct that is to get different rods or get a different crank or possibly both...:)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Too much side clearance is not as bad as too little. If it's too little the rods will burn up in a hurry. Too much will cause more windage and possibly lower oil pressure depending on how much is too much.

I'm curious to why you are pulling your 12 second engine and installing this blue light engine. Does it have more cubes than your 350?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paul Wright said:
Too much side clearance is not as bad as too little. If it's too little the rods will burn up in a hurry. Too much will cause more windage and possibly lower oil pressure depending on how much is too much.

I'm curious to why you are pulling your 12 second engine and installing this blue light engine. Does it have more cubes than your 350?
If this new shortblock is the budget blue light special, the one is my car is the budget ghetto special. The one in the car has stock cast dished pistons with 4 valve reliefs which gives barely gives me 9:1. It's also got 2-bolt mains and it's not balanced.

The "new" shortblock is the .010/.020 high nickle/tin content block with 4-bolt mains. It has new SpeedPro flattop hypereutectic pistons with moly rings and based upon my measuring and CCing last night, I will have a true 10.5:1 compression. Also, the rotating assembly is balanced.

I'm going to pull the heads anyhow for porting, so it's not much more work (to me anyhow) just to swap shortblocks while I'm at it. CamMotion is also working up a super-secret squirrel solid flat tappet cam for me.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
But you didn't answer the question. Does it have more cubes than your current engine (and don't just say "yes")

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
The answer is 5 cubic inches. I think the blue light special is .030 over. Dave's trying to keep it close.... we'll be sending out advertisements and ticket sales for:

DriveWFO's Blue Light Special vs.

The Notorious:

Paul Wright Claimer 350

in a battle for Stevesnovasite glory!!!

Kev ;) :rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Paul Wright said:
But you didn't answer the question. Does it have more cubes than your current engine (and don't just say "yes")
I'm step out on a limb here and say yes it does....Dave, does the number 3.750" mean anything to you and your blue light special ?????;)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
novaboy009 said:
The answer is 5 cubic inches. I think the blue light special is .030 over. Dave's trying to keep it close.... we'll be sending out advertisements and ticket sales for:

DriveWFO's Blue Light Special vs.

The Notorious:

Paul Wright Claimer 350

in a battle for Stevesnovasite glory!!!

Kev ;) :rolleyes: :D
I'm not too sure about that....to get the CR he is talking about with flat tops he would need more than a .030" overbore...(the other possibliity is that Daves flat tops dont have any valve relief eyebrows?)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
69NovaSS said:
I'm not too sure about that....to get the CR he is talking about with flat tops he would need more than a .030" overbore...(the other possibliity is that Daves flat tops dont have any valve relief eyebrows?)
Thanks Duane...I was thinking about asking the same question.;) I'm guessing .060" over with a .015 head gasket and 5cc flat tops should get him around 10.5:1. This might be that Secret info though.:p

1 - 20 of 51 Posts