Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1972 Nova. This is a project car for my son and myself.
The engine is a 350 2bbl carb with 113,000 miles. We will be pulling the engine and transmission. I have read a ton of threads on Crate engines whether it be Blue Print or GM crate. Not really liking what I have been reading. Now I'm leaning towards having this 350 built to my specs and go from there. Thinking about 383 stroker kit. Any input would be appreciated.
Our local machine shop is very good at building engines. They can also dyno them.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I just purchased a 1972 Nova. This is a project car for my son and myself.
The engine is a 350 2bbl carb with 113,000 miles. We will be pulling the engine and transmission. I have read a ton of threads on Crate engines whether it be Blue Print or GM crate. Not really liking what I have been reading. Now I'm leaning towards having this 350 built to my specs and go from there. Thinking about 383 stroker kit. Any input would be appreciated.
Our local machine shop is very good at building engines. They can also dyno them.
Your engine is probably a 2 bolt main, not a bad thing, but you should upgrade the bottom end to ARP studs. From what I have seen, it is cheaper and better to go with aftermarket heads rather than rebuilding the stock ones.

What does your local shop do? Are they a remanufacturer or are they a hot rod shop? Talk to some of the people who have had there engines rebuilt there. Happy or ?

The GM crates are a great place to start. I had one builder suggest that I do that first and then upgrade the cam and heads later. Blueprint seems to be hit and miss. Some guys are okay with them and others are not.

What are your goals? Street cruiser, strip terror, road course, car show or??

Ray

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for all the replies. I talked to a friend this morning that had all the machine work done on his motor at this shop and never has had any problems. It is supercharged. As far as horsepower etc. I'm looking at 450 to 500. Budget, not sure when I built my 40 ford coupe the budget was way off lol. The machine shop give me some rough ideas what it would cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts