Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,trying to mock up pulleys on new motor to get a belt length.The center hole on pulley is much smaller than big dampner washer.Do I have the center of pulley machined out larger than washer or use a longer balancer bolt and place balancer washer over the pulley.This is a March serpentine conversion pulley it has a machined lip on back that fits perfectly into the hole through the dampner.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
The machined lip is there to center the pulley on the balancer so you don't get any runout. Attach the pulley to the balancer to get your belt length. That won't change anything as far as the center bolt goes. The washer from the bolt will actually press against the pulley to hols it on. It should be long enough. Also, use a couple drops of Locktite on the threads on your final installation of the pulley. Dave

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sounds like you may need to pull your balancer on some more? If the bolt holding the pulley is not long enough to bolt on, then either the bolt is too short or the balancer is too far out and needs to be drawn in some (shortens the gap between the pulley face and the snout of the crank).

He said SNOUT!:devil:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you. So cool to get advise on Christmas night so I can keep on playing with my new toys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi all,trying to mock up pulleys on new motor to get a belt length.The center hole on pulley is much smaller than big dampner washer.Do I have the center of pulley machined out larger than washer or use a longer balancer bolt and place balancer washer over the pulley.This is a March serpentine conversion pulley it has a machined lip on back that fits perfectly into the hole through the dampner.

The hole needs to be big enough to put the 7/16 fine thread bolt through the center of the pulley. Use a grade 8 bolt with a star washer and then through the large thick washer to hold them on. Does your pulley have the three bolt holes to mount it to the balancer? It sounds like you just need a longer bolt to make up for the thicker pulley. My 66 had a pressed on balancer with no threads in the crank and no center bolt. Chevy did get smarter. I drilled and tapped my own threads in the end of the crank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts