Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a '63 SS that has a '63 327 block in it. The owner claims the car was purchased with the dealer-installed L30 RPO, in all its glory. Is there any way to link the L30 code to the car, either via the VIN or cowl codes? I have a question into NovaResource.com, too.

Also, if this was an L30 car, would the application code on the block state it was for a Chevy II or a Corvette? I assume the numbers wouldn't match, either.

Thanx,
Dale

·
13,729 Posts
Dale, dealer installed small block V/8s were available for Chevy IIs in 1963, but there were no factory V/8s. The factory L30 for Chevy IIs didn't come along until 1965. The only L30s in 1963 were 250HP/327 engines available in Corvettes and full size Chevrolets.
Because the engine was dealer installed, there won't be any way to cross reference it to the car, except if there is an invoice somewhere for the work done. If it was done prior to being sold, it could be noted on the original bill of sale.
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the '63 assembly manual, the L30 and L32 (283) options were available, but not advertised. As I understand it, the car was shipped from GM to the dealer, and a pile of parts followed. In fact, the book goes to the detail of saying which parts were from GM, and which parts were from Fisher. So even though the 327 wasn't available from the factory until '65, it was available as a dealer installed option in '63. And an expensive option, at that.

So what I'm stuggling with is a way to identify this option without the original paperwork. I wasn't sure if there was a rarely-used cowl code, but it seems like the cowl tags were so inconsistent that it could look like an error anyway. And I wasn't sure if there was a way to contact GM, give them a VIN, and find out how it was spec'd. I think Pontiac has something like this.

Dale

·
13,729 Posts
According to some of the former GM guys who post on this board, don't always believe the Assembly Manual. Apparently, many of the things shown never made it to production and some things that did never made it to the manual.
However, it is known for sure that late in the 1962 production year 283 and 327 blocks were cast specifically for dealer installs in Chevy IIs. These came from GM Parts facilities, not the vehicle build factory, so they were known as conversions not options. The conversions were very rare because the cost was incredible, as high as 50-75% of the price of the entire car in some cases.
Because the VIN and cowl tags were put on at the factory, there will be nothing to indicate a V/8, because there weren't any factory installed in 1963. I don't believe there would be any indication during the build process that the car was going to be dealer converted to a V/8. All 63 SSs were built as six cylinders, and will be either a 437 (2 door six cylinder hardtop coupe) or 467 (2 door six cylinder convertible). The SS package was an option and should show as a 'Z' or 'X" on the bottom line of the cowl tag. Because the model number indicated whether a car was a four or six cylinder, engine codes don't appear on the cowl tag bottom line of U.S. built Chevy IIs (cars built in Canada sometimes did). As far as I know, GM does not provide any information on U.S. built cars. GM Canada does for any cars that were built or sold new in Canada. If your car is Canadian built, it will say GM Canada on the VIN plate.
Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts