Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find a guide that will show all of the correct location of all under the hood markings and decal locations for a concourse restoration? I have a third gen. Nova and even though it's going to be a clone SS I still want all the proper items in their correct location? Thanks! Buddy64

·
Vendor
1,831 Posts
I do not believe any kind of book or guide is currently available that covers what you are seeking for Novas. If it were a Corvette or Mustang it would probably be a different story. What I can recommend from doing my own research with 1st gen cars is to get the assembly manual, factory shop manual and any supplements and dealer / chevy literature on the vehicle including sales ads found in magazines. None of these pieces will be an authoritative reference, but will help start putting the pieces together. You will also need to spend a lot of time digging around on this board and other Websites looking for pics of cars and what others have to say. Wayne at National Nostalgic Nova could also be a resource as he has been around these cars forever.

Warning: at the end of the day you may find people disagree regarding the markings, placement, color, size, style, etc. Once you get to this level of restoration detail the nitpicking reaches biblical proportions. IMO stuff like this was likely variable not only between factories, but also workers, shifts, times of year, supplies, etc. If they ran out of white marking crayons and only had pink, they used pink. This could affect 20 cars or 2,000. The research is fun as long as it does not become an anti-social obsession :)

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
sittin here scratching my head
why markings when its a clone?
you would be better off with what it came with moldings to go with the markings
then everythings correct.JMO

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I think that we would have enough member(s) to put something together for a Concourse Restoration Guide Book :yes:

Most ( or some ) of our member(s) have done above and beyond great work and have it recorded on here...

I bet that WE could have something from each Generation ( put into detail ) with its tricks of How To and what to look for when doing it.....

Name it after the site, and it would have a percentage donated to the site for Maintenance or for what ever....:D

This is Just an Idea....

·
13,958 Posts
IMO stuff like this was likely variable not only between factories, but also workers, shifts, times of year, supplies, etc. If they ran out of white marking crayons and only had pink, they used pink. This could affect 20 cars or 2,000. The research is fun as long as it does not become an anti-social obsession :)
I agree. Crayon markings especially were random. Some cars got them, some didn't. How and what they marked varied from plant to plant and maybe even day to day. I've seen restored Novas with all kinds of crayon marks, stickers and decals that don't appear in any of the road test photos when the cars were new. We do tend to get carried away.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts