Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am new to this site. I have a 1973 Chevy Nova Hatchback. The floor is in really bad condition. I have purchased a complete floor for this car but before I replace it was wondering if I have to brace the frame to prevent any shifting. The engine and tranny have been removed. The rear frame rails and tail light panel have been removed as well. Any info that you can provide on this procedure will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
FFoxx1

·
6,382 Posts
The factory had the car in a jig when it was originally welded together and by cutting things out the remaining structure may shift. How much can be removed before it may or may not shift is any ones guess.
I know on my 74 hatchback when I had both full quarters, rear outer wheel housings, and the taillight panel off the remaining structure did twist. On mine I had thought ahead and where all the work was being done I tack welded in tubes to the underside of the car and had them in contact with the concrete floor. When I had all of the above panels off, one or two of the bars lifted off of the ground. On mine all I had to do was add weight above these lifted bars and got the structure back to where it was originally.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts