Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some bolt in sub frame connectors from competition eng. Is there a noticeable difference going another step further and welding them to the floor pans and where they bolts on the car?? This car isn't a corner carver it's more a leaf spring tube front clip radial street car. Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,276 Posts
Let me start by saying I welded in my subframe connectors and also added additional metal out to the edges of the rockers. That being said if I were in this guys shoes I would simply bolt them on and enjoy the difference. Properly designed connectors will do what they are designed for. We all have bolt in front clips. Are you going to weld those on? Once you weld now you have to worry if you covered everything in good, rust resistant paint. I don't see the benefit for the average cruiser.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I bolted Competition Engineering subframe connectors onto my 1969 Nova in 2000. They were the first improvement I made, and a significant improvement it has been. Before, the frame would bend so badly on a slanted driveway in the rain that it would lose traction, when all I wanted to do was enter the flow of traffic.
I bolted them in anticipating having to remove them for future projects. That has only happened once, and then I bolted them back in again.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
I think I'll weld them in once the car is driving again
you can always bolt them in, get it running, drive it and let everything settle, then weld them in permanently later without too much hassle. You may find as @Pragmatist stated they'd be fine for what you're doing and you can always remove them later if need be. Some of us weld them, some of us bolt them. No right or wrong way, just welding them physically connects everything as one part where bolting them is a compression/friction fit which can still flex as they are not permanently attached with welds.

Pretty sure he was being pragmatic in his approach ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts