1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I have

8.5" 10 bolt (Open Differential) with 2.43:1 currently in my 78

8.5" 10 bolt complete axle (Posi from a Trans Am) with 2.73

I found a 10 bolt from a 85 Blazer with Open Differential 3.73:1 gears. Would the 3.73 gear work in the Trans Am axle? I know I need to use the yoke from my 78 and move the perches in about 3/8". But would that be a doable project?

I would like to use the Nova Axle for this swap, but I thought it would be easier if I just upgraded gears in the Trans Am axle this way if I made a mistake or got in a jam, I could still drive the car.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Gary

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Trans Am axle is wider and won't fit the Nova. All the parts will interchange.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could have the perches removed and welded in the correct spot. Or am I better off installing the posi and gears in the Nova housing? Would the TA housing have all the essential parts to do the swap? I know I will at least need axle bearings and a rebuild kit. I have read a few tech articles on upgrading gears and installing a posi. I plan on getting the Differential Rebuilding DVD

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
take the posi from the T/A the gears from the blazer and install them in the housing in the NOVA...

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Second Gen F body (70-1/2 - 81 Camaro, Firebird) axles are wider drum to drum than Novas. Re welding the perches will not fix the problem. Take a tape measure and compare them both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts