Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Nova with a Turbo 350, 307 with a 4 inch bore, 350 crank, mild cam, World Heads, and a posi 3.73 rear. I’m adding a Hughes 2500 stall converter and a B&M shift kit. The shift kit has three different options: RV, Street Performance and Competition.

I am not racing the car so I thought the obvious choice was Street, but the transmission shop said that the converter will soak up some of the shift kit and the Competition is the way to go. It will give a chirp to the tires when on the gas hard and shifting.

I want a fun ride with an aggressive shift. I definitely don’t want it to be like riding a snowmobile, but is the Competition too much?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think I would go with the street performance. My street chevelle has a performance built street t-400, and it is a little obnoxious pulling away from a traffic light and getting that 1-2 chirp if you accelerate a little harder. If it was under hard acceleration, then fine. But I think its a little rough. For the race car, I had a manual valve body t-400.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would also go with the middle package. It will get old if you make it shift super hard under normal driving conditions. In a perfect world you want it to firm up the shifts in everyday driving with it barking the tires when really in the gas on the 1st to 2nd shift. If you plan on really driving the car I think the street performance tune will be the one.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I’d probably do the middle also. Although I will say that most stall converters “hide” the shift too. Depending on how loose the converter is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out the Competition was manual only so went with the Street and it is perfect. When you are in it hard, it will bark the tires going into second. Shifts are firm, but not annoying. The converter makes going from 0-60 much better.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
I just bought the b&m kit yesterday for the 350 im refreshing.yes the competition is manual shifting so im going with street.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts