Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- According to my engine build sheet, I have these hyd roller lifters in my motor. Man these things seem loud. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I think "some" noise is normal
This can go with the morel noise too.
I've read big cam profiles/alum heads/hedders you'll hear "some".

My last HR had comps with a custom cam and it made "some" noise.
I wasn't happy either but it sure ran good.
Oh, it had a rev kit too.

Now this was not sounding like a duramax tho!:no:

·
Registered
798 Posts
My Morels are noisy also.Actually,I have never heard a quiet retro roller.Those tie bars have a fair bit of slop and I think that's where you pick up that clackety-clack.Sounds racy though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I called the engine builder and he said they tend to get louder with extended idle time. I notice that, but they never really get anywhere near silent. Much louder than my last hot rod (20 years ago lol) with flat tappet solids. It would be noisey on startup, but once warm just a nice light clicking. This thing is loud with lots of valvetrain sounds in the cabin at all speeds, but not nearly as much when you have your head under the hood.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey all- According to my engine build sheet, I have these hyd roller lifters in my motor. Man these things seem loud. Anyone else experience this?
I have Comp Cams hyd roller lifters in my motor and like yours they make a lot of noise. Engine builder has tried adjusting the valves several times to limit the noise but to no avail.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Another contributor to valve train noise is hydraulic intensity. Everyone wants a cam that will open the valve quickly, hold it wide open then close it quickly, and roller cams are great at this. A stock cam, designed to be quiet, will have a long closing ramp and a large hydraulic intensity, gently closing the valve. Aftermarket cams with low hydraulic intensity close the valve much more rapidly, and the valve slamming closed creates noise.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm fairly new to the hydraulic roller scene and have noticed some valve train noise. For the power they make along with the set it and forget it deal I can live with the noise. I've run several solid rollers in the past and they make some noise also so I guess I'm just conditioned to it. Any time I run a roller I also run a stud girdle. I usually check my valves once a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts