Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
You might try a search for "rotisserie" on the site. I think we have a few threads on the subject and some links to a couple of websites with plans. A few members have built their own with good results (tips & tricks, etc.).

If that does not yield some options for you ... try this site for reference ...

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html

Hope that helps and Good Luck !!

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
One guy here used 2 engine stands he extended the base wheels to 5ft and made mounting braces for front and rear.Probally the cheapest way to go and you get the engine stand when done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
footbrake68 said:
You might try a search for "rotisserie" on the site. I think we have a few threads on the subject and some links to a couple of websites with plans. A few members have built their own with good results (tips & tricks, etc.).

If that does not yield some options for you ... try this site for reference ...

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html

Hope that helps and Good Luck !!
Strange...I have the info from that link as a single PDF file. Nicer that paging through the website one page at a time. I can't remember where i got it from, but if anyone is interested, i can host it and we can do a "sticky" on it..or i could just get one of the nice forum moderators to host it here on the site. :D

·
6,326 Posts
I looked at a few online and got some plans and idea's for the one I'm "hopefully" going to make.
I just went out this last Saturday to a local steel supplier and got some numbers to work with to weigh out buying all the steel and parts and making it myself or buying one I seem to like from someone like Autotwirler out of Indiana.
From what I see with myself, building one might be a better option. On mine I'm hoping to add a way to slowly turn over the car and lock it into any position and have it to where it won't take up too much space when assembled or broken down for storage. I'm also hoping to design it to where it is flexible and fit more than just my cars.
On the one I'm doing research on will take 35' of 2" square steel with 3/16" wall and 25' of 2.5" square steel with 3/16" wall and I also asked about the charges for giving them a list of lengths and the number of cuts and it came to $260. 00 for the steel and $60.00 for the cuts (30 cuts at $2.00 each). On mine I'm leaning to have them cut the different lengths to where it will be easier to transport home and with the tooling they have get squarre ends on my lengths of tubing.
If I add the rams on each end (the steel to add this is figured in my original steel pricing) would add about $100.00 to $130.00 for this option.
I look at the one from autotwirler and they are wanting a little over $1,000.00 for the ones with the rams and locally my parts would be $450.00 and the difference would be my time with the welder and actually building it (prepping edges, making sure it's square, basic paint job, and so on).
On mine I have dealt with the steel supplier before and these are for a walk in customer and chances are if it's been like the times before I will pay cash with no receipt and probably save some money this way also.

Whatever design you choose, build it very well. Even on my car currently on a roll around jig I've not had any problems with it and it hasn't bent or had welds come apart but you have to build them to where they are safe. Chances are too once you build one you will find yourself redesigning things to where they work better than in the original design.

Granted I have not included things like the wheels, nuts and bolts, and some other things but I'm getting there.

Jim

·
Registered
624 Posts
I will offer one piece of advice when it comes to building a rotisserie. Don't overbuild it! You'll just be paying more for material than you have to. I have seen some of these things built with I beams big enough to hold up a house. That's just plain overkill. Keep one thing in mind when you're building it. The thickness of the cars frame is only about 1/8" and it holds up the entire assembled car with glass, doors, drivetrain, everything. So why does everyone think the rotisserie needs to be made out of 1/4" material to hold up the same car with 75% of the weight removed. That doesn't make much sense does it. I built my rotisserie out of scrap steel for a little bit of nothing. About 40 bucks, and most of that was for casters. The bulk of the rotisserie is made out of used parking lot light poles. You've seen them in shopping malls and convenience stores. The poles are 4" x 4" square and the metal is 1/8" thick. It's plenty strong for the job. Best of all, it was cheap.:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
The brother and I built a good one out of 4" square tube. We cut the ends off of a 9" ford with the axle bearings and housing ends, about 6 inches or so to use as the pivots on each end. We did this because it turns so much better, and when you are sand blasting, the sand doesnt affect it like some of the ones I have seen at the swaps. It works pretty slick. We dont have any hydralics on it though because we have a car hoist to lift a body up. I cant post pics on here, but if you want to see a pic, pm me your email and I can send you some.

·
Registered
544 Posts
K-Man said:
Strange...I have the info from that link as a single PDF file. Nicer that paging through the website one page at a time. I can't remember where i got it from, but if anyone is interested, i can host it and we can do a "sticky" on it..or i could just get one of the nice forum moderators to host it here on the site. :D
Yep ... you can DL it as a single .pdf file. I had it saved for "future reference" like all my other projects that I keep meaning to get done - really, I am ... soon ;) :D .

·
Registered
643 Posts
You can see the one I built on my link. JJ66 posted a link to the plans I used, and it has worked great, and is versatile to mount different vehicles. Instead of hydraulic jacks, I mounted hand crank cable winches on each upright, and they work great. Pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Custom Jim said:
On mine I'm hoping to add a way to slowly turn over the car and lock it into any position.
I saw a engine stand for about 200 that had a gear drive on the head so you could rotate the engine easier. I think it was for a 2000 lb stand.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts