Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Nova, 406 with a TH350 ... and I'm still using the column shifter : )

Been trying to fix up my shifter linkage to make up for all the slop in it from years of use (and abuse) and I am having a hard time finding replacement parts.

I've searched thru SNS and found a few threads with some leads .... but now my question is how many of you with 3rd Gen Novas have actually used or installed these products ??

I look under the hood, and eye-ball things and am not sure if the following products would line up or work at all.

So, anyone with a 68-74, running a V8/TH350 ... I need your help!

One of the pieces I came across was from Classic Industries, Part Number #C501774

The following I found from a SNS thread, but was in a thread for an eariler generation was the Lokar ACA-1800

Lastly, Shiftworks.com - Shiftworks has some kit (http://shiftworks.com/kugel.htm)

HELP !! ... not sure where to go from here ........

I have no plans to install a floor shifter, as I love the column shifter : ) Don't see many 12 second cars with a bench and column shifter around here!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I plan on using that same One from classic industries, I bought the lokar one but returned it..

I guess ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on using that same One from classic industries, I bought the lokar one but returned it..

I guess ill let you know how it goes.
Please do ... and thanks for the reply on the Lokar piece. I was leaning that way, but I will hold off.

I got all winter to find something ; )

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... I'm kinda taking this as not too many people here are running column shifters anymore.

Trying to avoid going to a floor shifter, having a bench seat and all .... plus I have a hard time drilling holes in my floor.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Love my B&M Quicksilver floor shifter and my bench seat.:D

·
Registered
701 Posts
have one on my 68 works good. i used a treaded rod that i got
from hardware for mock up so i didnt cut rod with kit wrong.never used rod from kit.one i cut worked good. may change it someday.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have one on my 68 works good. i used a treaded rod that i got
from hardware for mock up so i didnt cut rod with kit wrong.never used rod from kit.one i cut worked good. may change it someday.
What kit did you use ?? and could I trouble you for a picture of your linkage setup ??

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love my B&M Quicksilver floor shifter and my bench seat.:D
I installed a B&M ProRatchet Shifter in my 74 Omega, and it has a bench seat too.

I like it ... it's not bad, GREAT at the track !! but I don't really want to do that with the Nova. I like my column shifter : )

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
... I'm kinda taking this as not too many people here are running column shifters anymore.

Trying to avoid going to a floor shifter, having a bench seat and all .... plus I have a hard time drilling holes in my floor.
You're probably right about the rarity of a column shifter. I absolutely love the column and absolutely hate the floor. I'll be keeping my column shifter, but using it with a newer 4-speed auto, so I can't be of much help. I just wanted to jump in and encourage you to stay the course with the column *and* the bench seat.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... is the linkage the same on 75-79 generation novas ??

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I installed a B&M ProRatchet Shifter in my 74 Omega, and it has a bench seat too.

I like it ... it's not bad, GREAT at the track !! but I don't really want to do that with the Nova. I like my column shifter : )
Mine was an 11 second 71 Nova(406) and the column shifter just wasn't cutting it when I was racing. Got beat once by a pesky Mustang because of the shifter, ran him two more times for the best of three and I got him both of those times though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're probably right about the rarity of a column shifter. I absolutely love the column and absolutely hate the floor. I'll be keeping my column shifter, but using it with a newer 4-speed auto, so I can't be of much help. I just wanted to jump in and encourage you to stay the course with the column *and* the bench seat.
Thanks rquad! : )

·
Registered
701 Posts
used the shiftworks kit.running 700r trans but it works on all trans.
heres a picture not real good but maybe it will help, you do away with all of your old linkage that is bolted to the frame you do have to bend rod to fit thats why i used mock up rod .

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
used the shiftworks kit.running 700r trans but it works on all trans.
heres a picture not real good but maybe it will help, you do away with all of your old linkage that is bolted to the frame you do have to bend rod to fit thats why i used mock up rod .

Thank you VERY MUCH for the pictures ... gives me a good idea of how the kit will work.

Think I'm gonna put a call into Shiftworks and order one up .... wouldn't be the first $50 I've blown on the car .... hahahaha

The linkage piece on the trans ... could ya snap one of it too ?? please ??

Awesome ..... : )

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered the KK02 kit from Shiftworks.com ... :D

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Mine original had a column shifter ( 3 speed standard )

And I converted it to a automatic column shifter ( had a 74 4 door Nova that had it )

I much rather have it on the column than on the Floor :yes:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Ordered the KK02 kit from Shiftworks.com ... :D
Just wondering how's that shifter linkage work for you? Will it interfere with long tube headers?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wondering how's that shifter linkage work for you? Will it interfere with long tube headers?
Worked out perfectly .... lotsa of clearance.

I do notice my column seems to vibrate abit with this setup ... at idle but other then that, it's great!

Love my column shifter :D

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts