Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to put the column shifter back on my the Nova this weekend but guess what...it grew legs and walked off. Anyone know where I can get a replacement???? Its on a 71 Nova....

Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I had a 68 once and put it back on the colum. I used a universal street rod linkage I don't remember name brand but it came with trans bracket and rods. After some adjustment it worked out fine. I'll try to do some digging and see if I find the name of it. Or people on this site may have one already.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the rod kit from Chevy2 only....but for some reason I lost the lever when I took it over last year. The lever was suppose to be in the box with the linkage...but the linkage was there but no lever..

Rick

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Maybe someone here has both a 3rd and 4th gen car that can compare them. I am sure that the end that is in the column will be the same, it is just the shape of the shifter that may be different. The one I have is non tilt if that matters.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Are you re-intalling the actual shift lever inside the car on the column? Or are you hooking back up the linkage from the column in the engine campartment to the tranny?

I have an original 3-spped manual car that I would like to make a column auto. Everyting is there on the column include the collar that rotates the linkages under the car, but not place to stick a lever on the column. If I can do that I would like to know how. I don't want a floor shifter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stock column with the orginal collar for the shifter is still in the car. We had not found a floor shifter column yet so it will be easy to put things back. The reason that a floor shifter was put in the car was because clearance issues with the linkage on the frame and the headers. Could not find a set of shortie headers that would clear the linkage so I bought a B&M cable shifter. From the get go we have not liked the that shifter and now that my wife is getting the car...she wants the shifter back on the column. I did finally locate a kit that will clear the headers at Chevy2 Only for $59. I looked for a year but could not find anything that would work. Once I found this site and asked that question..I was told about the Chevy2 site...Now all I need is the lever and I am in business...Once I get the shifter lever I will be removing the floor shifter and it goes up for sale...

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Rick,

Where in Ca do you live? I may have one, don't know what kind of shape it's in.

Denis

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey, speaking of column shift? How do you get the knob off? I figured it'd screw off, but I'm afraid of breaking it.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Hey Rick,

Nice looking ride! Do you live any where SF Valley? I live in Santa Clarita.

Denis

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Hey Denis I was just funnin ya. If you have a correct shifter Rick may want yours instead. The one I sent him has a pretty green knob on it. Ought to look real good on that red car :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts