Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the typical column shift lever on my GM steering column attached to my 700R4. I’ve never been completely satisfied with the “slop” in shifting with the column shifter even after several attempts by tranny shops to make it how I feel it should be. OK, so I’m a bit of a perfectionist and slightly OCD about my ride, but aren’t we all

My question: how do I clean up the portion of the steering column where I’m removing the shifter lever? Is there a collar or ??? Or do I have to get a whole new steering column?

Many thanks,
Daryl

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, here’s some info on steering columns. Search “My stock column saver mod for R&P” it’s very informative.
Thanks banger, but that’s WAY past my skill set! I wish I could do all that but I have neither the tools nor the training/skills to fab that myself. Should’ve taken metal shop in high school...?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Collar Modification

We had the same issue. I removed the collar and ground the shifter mounting area down and filled it with bondo. We then made adapters with a circular cut out in two pieces of plywood that matched the round ends using an adjustable circle cutter. We placed the plywood on each end and mounted it in our wood lathe using the two drilled holes from cutting the circles to center in the lathe. Turned on the lathe and used 80 grit o knock it down. If you have low spots you can fill them in. Finish up with 220, prime, wet sand and paint.

Hope this helps, very inexpensive fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had the same issue. I removed the collar and ground the shifter mounting area down and filled it with bondo. We then made adapters with a circular cut out in two pieces of plywood that matched the round ends using an adjustable circle cutter. We placed the plywood on each end and mounted it in our wood lathe using the two drilled holes from cutting the circles to center in the lathe. Turned on the lathe and used 80 grit o knock it down. If you have low spots you can fill them in. Finish up with 220, prime, wet sand and paint.

Hope this helps, very inexpensive fix. Good luck.
Motomanwin,
I dropped the car off this morning at the mechanics and mentioned your idea and other possibilities to him. Coincidentally he did similar on one of his Resto mods so he’s going to clean it all up and worst case scenario leave it primed for rattle can paint (which is something I can actually do)!:turn:

Thanks everyone for your input. Very helpful to get us on the right page. Should be picking it up late this afternoon... I can’t wait?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts