Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting new front end. Need to put column saver on have to cut steering shaft and tube some directions are not real clear. Any insight on easily doing this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just did this. The steering shaft is hardened and I believe chromium where the helical starts and I didn't need that much length. It is MUCH easier to cut about an inch above that point if you can.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Putting new front end. Need to put column saver on have to cut steering shaft and tube some directions are not real clear. Any insight on easily doing this.
Wayne, It’s not rocket science.. I did my first column before I was a aware of the thread link posted above and latter revised it when I saw the ER204 bearings. You want to leave as much of the column shaft as possible if you are using the shaft from your original steering box. There are also column saver kits you can buy that will supply a new steering shaft.. CPP, Chassisworks, and I believe Speedway have kits available. Also, if you have a race car parts supplier locally you could get a steering shaft..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts