Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a mess I have... So here goes... I have a 1971 Nova that has a automatic trans. with a column shiftier. I bought a 75-76 column shiftier with tilt and floor shiftier,but, the 75-76 column is longer (steering box must have been on the front side cross frame) so how can I make this work. I have both columns mostly apart but I can't figure how to get the shifting collar off of either one.

Yours truly lost:(

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Yes, the 75-79 Novas did have the steering box mounted up at the front of the subframe ahead of the engine crossmember. I think the column itself is about the same length as the 69-74 columns but 75-79's have an added intermediate shaft to join the column to the box.

I haven't personally done this, but I remember reading a post here on Steves about someone who put a 75-79 column in a 69-74 Nova. I believe they simply removed the coupler flange from the lower end of the intermediate shaft and re-installed it directly onto the lower splined end of the column. Not sure what they used to secure it in place though.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Tooth off

There is a slider operated by key rotation that is connected to a rod that goes to the ignition switch on the column. If you have that slider a tooth off it limits the rotation of the key.....not that it happened to me. :rolleyes:
Thing is you have to take so much apart to get to it, then you'll probably have to readjust the ignition switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts