Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nova has an interior color code 757 - dark blue vinyl bench. Does anybody know what color code that might be. I'm guessing that we all guess. Any advise on painting interior plastic like kick panels.
My clutch return spring goes right through my exhaust manifold. The assembly manual shows it should be connected where I have it so does that mean the drivers side exhaust manifold is different for standards and I have one for an auto? Its the big spring in the photo going right through the exhaust manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not going to take it personnel that I received no responses. Perhaps the questions have been answered and my searches need to be better or they are just dumb questions. It couldn't have anything to do with being into the 3rd week of not smoking cold turkey. My social skills are a bit thin at the moment. Come on Nova we can get through this together. Arggggggg.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,995 Posts
I really don't have any answers to your questions except I'm pretty sure that spring is not supposed to run through the exhaust manifold. I can't say if it's the spring or the manifold but something ain't right. I will say as a respiratory therapist for nearly 40 years I'm proud of you for giving up the smokes. I promise it will get easier. Keep up the good work. Your engine bay is the second photo looks nice:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Hello from Ohio

One of the problems with any forum like this is having to wait for someone who knows the answer to read your post...:rolleyes:

Chevrolet called the color used in 'trim combination' 757 simply "dark blue". You might be able to track down a color chip somewhere using Ditzler paint code 14104. I found that information on TPC Global's AutoColorLibrary.com site. It's a great resource for researching auto paint information: Their home page is:
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/
The direct link for 1971 Chevrolet information is:
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1971-Chevrolet-pg01.jpg

As to your clutch return spring, my GUESS is that one of the parts you're using may not be correct for your application. A more specific guess is that it's the Z-bar. Did all the clutch linkage parts come from a single vehicle? The reason I say that is that the lower lever on the Z-bar looks like it might be too close to the engine block...

EDIT: Looking at CGMike's post above, the manifold could also easily be the problem. I didn't see his post yesterday because it came in while I was writing mine...

In any case, good luck with the project - and - keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your responses. Very much appreciated. You answered my color question. I'll get some paint mixed. Anybody have experience painting plastic.
As for the clutch spring. The nova is an original 4 sp. Think all the clutch parts would be also. The manifold however is not. Came with headers which I replaced with manifolds I got from Sundell Auto out of N.C.I'll check the part no. today. I did put the connecting rod from the z linkage to the trans. in backwards and moved the spring mount on the motor mount to another hole that improves the spring clearance somewhat but my gut says something still ain't right.
Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I can't help with your questions (I'm sure others can) but want to congratulate you on your decision to quit. Keep it up. I too promise it will get easier. You will never be sorry you quit that ball and chain!:yes:

·
Registered
265 Posts
We painted our 69 Nova a very dark blue, similar to a original color. I don't have the paint code off hand but the name of the color is black sapphire metallic. It's a very dark blue with a metallic finish, and was used in many GM products through the early 90's. My wife picked out the color, and we have been bombarded with wonderful comments about the color.. There is also a dark blue metallic from the same years, but I don't think you would like it, we didn't...

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
On spraying plastic, you have to use a plastic primer spray. In the bad old days, there was only one or two brands and it was hard to find. Today, Rust Oleum makes a plastic primer that you spray before putting any other color on top.

If you are painting the interior parts to match, you might want to try to match them to the seat vinyl if the available colors for the interior of your car (from Nova parts suppliers) aren't a good match. Also take into account the possibility of having to spray any vinyl parts (dash, upholstery material) and see what color you can obtain for the vinyl paint.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What type of paint will you be using on the interior? Rattle can, single stage, or a base/clear? I searched a few formulas on my PPG code look up at work, and i couldn't come up with any formulas that were in the computer for 757. If you have an existing interior piece, a auto paint store can use a camera and take a picture of it to make a color. Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't. Normally a adhesion promoter is applied over bare plastic and then top coats are applied. A popular brand is bulldog adhesion promoter. Plastic need to be cleaned very well with degreasers and a water-base cleaner such as ammonia free glass cleaner. Comet or Ajax with some water work well with scotch brite pads for scuffing the bare plastic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the information re paint. I was going to get the seats redone in dark blue vinyl as close to the original 757 as possible and then get rattle cans made to match as close as possible to paint things like the kick panels and arm rest bases. Thanks for the plastic prep info.
I bought a set of original SS wheels today with centre pieces and trim rings. I can see why people put chrome rims on back in the day as these original ones are ummm I hope they grow on me. Nova is Mulsanne blue so I think I'll paint the wheels that color. Does anybody know what the original color should be.

Attachments

·
13,702 Posts
I bought a set of original SS wheels today with centre pieces and trim rings. I can see why people put chrome rims on back in the day as these original ones are ummm I hope they grow on me. Nova is Mulsanne blue so I think I'll paint the wheels that color. Does anybody know what the original color should be.
Here's a picture from the 1971 brochure. They weren't body color. Looks like silver.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
So....I'm probably whacked here but....studying the assembly manual closely you can see the Fork Return Spring "hook" at the Clutch Fork is installed "inside out" as opposed to "over the top" for Z-bar installations. Your provided photo (man, pictures answer a lot!) shows this spring installed "over the top". Is it possible this little change would provide the needed clearance?
If not, can you locate/create a different hook-point for the engine end of the Return Spring that when done in conjunction with the change at the Clutch Fork, will provide the needed clearance?
I know this blasphemous deviation from the rules might make the "Originals" on here cringe but I'm just trying to help a guy out.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Believe it or not, when I got my Yenko Deuce Nova the clutch spring was attached to the small clip that holds the brake line to the subframe. There was no provision in the engine frame mount for the spring on my car, so they simply attached it to that clip....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So....I'm probably whacked here but....studying the assembly manual closely you can see the Fork Return Spring "hook" at the Clutch Fork is installed "inside out" as opposed to "over the top" for Z-bar installations. Your provided photo (man, pictures answer a lot!) shows this spring installed "over the top". Is it possible this little change would provide the needed clearance?
If not, can you locate/create a different hook-point for the engine end of the Return Spring that when done in conjunction with the change at the Clutch Fork, will provide the needed clearance?
I know this blasphemous deviation from the rules might make the "Originals" on here cringe but I'm just trying to help a guy out.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by over the top or inside out so I am attaching a pic from my assembly manual. I did put the rod from the clutch fork to the shaft assembly in backwards facing and have switched it. Also moved the mount for the spring to a lower location on the motor mount where there is a convenient hole I never noticed before but definitely contrary to the manual. Don't know if the pic will appear as it seems to come and go at its leisure.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah, descriptive terminology can be difficult for me at times without getting all wordy and no, I'm not able to see your second photo.

What I was offering was...
In your original provided photo, the spring hook at the Clutch Fork has been inserted into the hole of the Clutch Fork (let's call it the "top" of the Clutch Fork for this reference) in a way that leaves the spring "arm" against the outside of the Clutch Fork's edge.

If you remove the spring completely (at both ends) then insert the same spring hook end by entering the hole in the Clutch Fork from the "bottom" (the other way, opposite of how you now have it) the spring "arm" would not be touching the Clutch Fork edge at all and would as a result, move the spring that much further away from your manifold.
Then, if necessary, finding a different hook point at the engine/frame end of the spring might give you all the clearance you need.

Like I said, I may be whacked.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for all the advise. Much appreciated.
Well the original M20 is out and on the bench. Going to replace the clutch. Already ordered a new one - 11 inch and they asked if it was 10 spline. Mine is 11 inch but has way more than 10 splines more like 26. Uh oh. New one is not here yet. Also noticed the bell housing is painted an orangey red. A little more red than the Chevy orange paint on the block. Any one else know what color it should be. The trans is just aluminium. What have people done. Wire wheeling all the 50 years of grime leaves it many shades of aluminium. Cleaner but looks crappy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts