Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to mess around with the duplicolor paint shop system and I had a question. I want to get a dark blue, but they only have a bright blue. Do you think it is OK to mix colors? I am thinking of mixing the blue with the black to get a darker blue.... thoughts? Please don't tell me not to use the stuff... I just want to know if I can mix it.

thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am going to mess around with the duplicolor paint shop system and I had a question. I want to get a dark blue, but they only have a bright blue. Do you think it is OK to mix colors? I am thinking of mixing the blue with the black to get a darker blue.... thoughts? Please don't tell me not to use the stuff... I just want to know if I can mix it.

thanks!
i'm not gonna tell you not to use it, but i am going to request that you at least check how much it would cost to use nason or omni paint instead.

to answer your question, i'm sure it's ok to mix the paint.
however how are you going to mix the second batch? i don't think you could ever get the color the same. unless you have a mixing station that measures out the exact amount you want to mix in.

$20 for a quart of ready to spray paint is not that good of a deal.

good luck with the project.

·
5,145 Posts
You can mix within the same brand and the same type of paint.

I agree with Mike, step up to one of the real automotive paint lines, even their value lines such as Nason, Omni, etc.
You can get the exact color you want off the jobber's intermix system.
You will have a paint number (different than a paint code) and will be able to duplicate that color at any point in the future. Ask for the formula when you buy the paint and you will have that for your records also.
If you start mixing to get custom colors you need to document everything with a digital scale or you won't be able to duplicate it in the future. Too much hassle, pick out an OEM color you like and make it easy.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I agree with Mike, step up to one of the real automotive paint lines, even their value lines such as Nason, Omni, etc.
just wanted to add that you would be surprised at the price. it's probably gonna be about the same cost.
some single stage nason ful-thane is a good quality cheap paint.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. My rational for going with this one is that it seems easy to use and I can buy it anywhere. What type of store (I am in Mass/NH) would I go to? I can't seem to find an automotive paint store easily... what should I look up??

·
5,145 Posts
Thanks for the comments. My rational for going with this one is that it seems easy to use and I can buy it anywhere. What type of store (I am in Mass/NH) would I go to? I can't seem to find an automotive paint store easily... what should I look up??
Auto Body supplies in Yellow Pages or stop and ask a shop where to buy locally. Some auto parts stores also sell paint, NAPA Carquest etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check out Summit and Eastwood....they both carry paint and they have a good choice of colors.....good prices to:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a place online and went there this morning. I returned the Duplicolor and bought some Omni paint (single stage). Just a quart for now, but I'm going to just to the door jams and inside the trunk to start. He said that if my current paint is fully cured and in good condition then I don't need to prime first... does that sound right?

·
Registered
597 Posts
It depends on what type of paint is on there and how much of a color difference there is. Where in Mass are you? A local paint supply shop is a priceless tool when it comes to projects like this. I used to deal with Providence Lacquer, out of Cranston, RI a lot, but there are other shops around too.

·
5,145 Posts
I found a place online and went there this morning. I returned the Duplicolor and bought some Omni paint (single stage). Just a quart for now, but I'm going to just to the door jams and inside the trunk to start. He said that if my current paint is fully cured and in good condition then I don't need to prime first... does that sound right?
Technically, Yes. If the paint you have is good you just need to sand it and paint over it.

However, if you have the original paint on the car it is probably lacquer and that is not a good foundation for new paint. If it is a fairly recent repaint with a catalyzed product, sand and paint over it.
You also may not know what is under the existing paint. Poor bodywork, rust starting etc. I have NEVER been disappointed that I took a car to bare metal. I have often been surprised at what I found and glad I did.
Stripping the car is alot of work and not for everyone and not every car needs stripping. I just want you to understand that there is some risk involved in painting over the unknown.
It is a decision you have to make. Make sure the condition of the existing paint and bodywork is exactly how you want it, if you paint over it. It won't hide anything such as waves, bubbles etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts