Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i was driving on the highway and when i got off of the exit i heard a clicking noise. I got the car home and the noise seemed to have stopped, I pulled the valvecovers just to be safe(today) and on the number 1 intake I have about 3/16" of lash, I checked the pushrod (not bent) and valve springs (not broken). I'm running a comp hydraulic roller and jesel shaft rockers (no damage to the rocker either).

Does anyone know what could cause this? will the lifter pump back up or should i investigate further?

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I just took all of the lash out of the lifter i'm having trouble with and measured lift at the retainer the cam card says .540 and i'm getting .532. i think it's safe to assume the lobe isn't wiped.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
If it's just ticking the lifter probably got a piece of debris in it (very common). Sometimes the debris will break free on it's own but more times than not the only cure is to remove the lifter and either disassemble it and clean it out thoroughly or replace it with a new one.

I usually replace them because I don't want to risk having to tear it all apart twice.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would that explain the excessive lash? I have 3/16" daylight between the roller tip and top of the valve stem. It's like the pushrod is 3/16" too short. I checked all of the obvious stuff the pushrod is the same length as the others.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Maybe the lobe is beginning to wear down? I would pull the lifter and inspect the bottom. You'll know if it's wearing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is it possible that the nut on the lifter or the stud stripped a little bit and that's whats causing the excessive lash?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts