Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to re-install my engine this weekend, which means I wanted to paint it last night.

BUT......there is a wierd spring storm in wisconsin right now. Current temperature is 38 degrees and humiditiy is at 92% (rain), and my garage is un-conditioned.

1) My question, I have a torpedo heater, if I point the heater at the engine, and let it run until the engine block is warm, then shut it off, paint the engine, then turn the heater back on pointed at the engine will I be o.k.?

2) How long do I need to leave the heat on the engine after the paint is applied?

This is NOT a show car, not even close, just had the engine out so I thought I'd paint it.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
personally I would think you could just spray bomb it and let it cure....heater not really needed....Just my thoughts...I'm sure other will chim in with better advice/opinions ;) :)

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
69NovaSS said:
personally I would think you could just spray bomb it and let it cure....heater not really needed....Just my thoughts...I'm sure other will chim in with better advice/opinions ;) :)
Great! that is what my gut is telling me too! The score is 2-0 for covering it with paint weather be damned! ;)

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
With that much humidity predicted, the finish on your spray bomb paint may not come out as shiny as you wish.

I've used spray bomb paints in high humidity before and was less than pleased with the cloudy/chalky appearance of the paint when it dried.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NovatoriusRex said:
With that much humidity predicted, the finish on your spray bomb paint may not come out as shiny as you wish.

I've used spray bomb paints in high humidity before and was less than pleased with the cloudy/chalky appearance of the paint when it dried.
Good to know....I assume this is a vote to wait.

current score 2-1 for painting today anyway.

Who else?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
The humidity will kill ya... Id wait on that
The cold temp the heater will handle, But I wouldnt aim the heater right at the motor. I would just warm the entire area. It would take longer for the block to warm up, but would heat it evenly.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The storm will be gone in a few days, but a screwed up paint job will last a LONG TIME!!! Wait til the storms over and do it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts