Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be storing a car in secured storage area /unheated ,concrete floor and steel roof. I plan on pulling the battery ,jacking it up on wood blocks .It has less then 500 miles since the last oil change. Should I change the oil with low grade 5-30 over winter and should I use the car cover inside the locker.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i always change the oil in the spring after the car has sat the winter. but i do start it a few times thru the winter an let the motor totally warm up. for the cover i'd want one that will breath an not hold moisture. put some kind of fuel sta-bil before you park it. run with the sta-bil so you know its thru the whole fuel system. i'm thinking of using that sea foam product in the fuel this year. do something about mice with some traps. under the hood, back seat floor an trunk. i hate those little furry things.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I second the mouse traps. And check me occasionally too! Nobody like dead mouse stink when it warms up.

Other than that, I've been doing the same with little issue. Some of the aluminum on the LS lightly corrodes, so this winter I'm gonna try WD-40 wipedown and see how they do.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
cold storage in new hampshire shouldn't make any smell during the cold months, but yes do check every so often. i forgot a set trap last summer in my 5th wheel trailer, 3 weeks later i came back opened the door an, ohh my took 3-4 days to get the smell out. an a dozen sticks of incense to ride the smell.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for The suggestions

This is the first time I have used a cold storage area . In the past I had room for heated storage, never under 60F. We have had mouse problems in the past. Years ago had mice in the old S10 and in a Saturn we had . Coldest I have seen over my life time was -30.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
keene72...... here's a post about posting pictures.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667901

a tip on those mouse traps over the winter. wrap the place the bait goes with some cotton sting an use peanut butter. they eat the peanut butter an then pull on the string cause it tastes like pb. dead mouse works every time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have the bait blocks that you stick inside a box. The mouse has to go inside to get the bait. I put a standard mousetrap outside the box door. If one doesn't get them, the other will. Also, you don't have to re-bait when you get a mouse.
Moisture will be a concern if the building isn't insulated. If possible, I'd use a 25 watt light bulb or one of those goldenrods or something similar to keep the car a bit warmer than the air in the building. This is mostly a concern when the weather warms up after it's been very cold. I've also in the past put carpet under the car, and it seemed to help.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Cold Storage...

I would highly recommend a 'car jacket' bag for cold storage...they completely enclose the car...we have used them for years and they are excellent. A vapor barrier on the floor first for added protection is helpful...old indoor/outdoor carpeting works well. You should add a quality fuel stabilizer and run the car to mix well...also fill the fuel tank to avoid condensation. I overfill the tires for winter storage...use de-humidity packets and dryer sheets inside/outside the car. We usually add a little protective spray to the wheels, tires and under the hood...If you want to jack up the car that's fine...rounded tires chocks that fit the tire are great if you have them. Remove the battery, use a breathable car cover and the zip it up and wait for spring. Here are some links to the car jacket and flat stopper storage ramps.

-wilma

https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/

https://www.raceramps.com/car-storage/ramps/flatstoppers/p/RR-FS-10/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl4CDmrGj5QIVB5SzCh2yLQ5ZEAQYASABEgLYo_D_BwE

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If not a car bag, I'd look into large tarps to lay out on the floor to act as a vapor barrier.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here's how I store my cars, 3 of them, for the winter... At least a 1/2 tank of gas, drive them into the garage, wax them, put on my battery tenders, cover them with a good cover, add some air fresheners, and say see ya in the spring..Never had any problem with anything.

·
6,399 Posts
We've got a mouse or two in our house. My wife had heard of the Irish Spring soap bars and cut one in two and placed them in the area that we saw some turds. A day or so later the bars had moved slightly. They(it) were eating the soap! Guess that's not a good tip unless they die from the soap(which I doubt). Mouse traps are now set. I like the bottle idea shown in the link of your post.
At my son's cottage there are signs of mice in there. He bought some ultra sonic control that doubles as night lights that many people have had good luck with them working.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
those sonic control things that plug in i don't think they work. had them in my 5th wheel camper last two years an sits in the woods in northern michigan.. last year it looked like they had a family party under the sink in the bath room. here is a link about end of season storage. there is a guy that says bay leaves work good to keep those mice out.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/10/29/5-tips-to-prepare-your-vintage-ride-for-storage?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Daily_News_Thursday_Oct_31

1 - 15 of 15 Posts