Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on this forum and it won't be my last.! I have built a few cars in the past, a couple of which are pro street cars. I recently purchased a 74 nova which I'm turning into a 68 or 69 car strictly for the strip.

I'm working on finishing the frame now and getting it a roller. I'm trying to figure out which coilover set up I want to go with. I have ran Aldan American on our other pro street cars. I am more concerned about the back right now. I believe it is between Aldan American and QA1's. Any suggestions on brand, specific brand model, size, lbs, etc.?

Lastly: I know this is the wrong section but I will include just to see. I have a 9inch housing and I am trying to figure the gear I want to run. I am leaning towards either 4.11 or 4.56. I know it is hard with no specs. This is what I have in mind though: Fiberglass body, big motor (572+, no lower than 502) big power, like to run 8's or lower, Big tire (Most likely a 33" but could vary between 30-33), and I will run 1/4 mile.

Good to be on here. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
As far as shocks, I would lean to the Strange Double adjustable shocks. But without a weight, spring rate is hard to guess. I am at 3200 lbs and use a 130 spring on mine. As far as gear, I would think the 4.11 would be better unless you want to really buzz it. I use a 4.33 gear with a 32" tire and I'm crossing about 7500 now at 145.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recently purchased a 74 nova which I'm turning into a 68 or 69 car strictly for the strip.

I'm working on finishing the frame now and getting it a roller.

Fiberglass body, big motor (572+, no lower than 502) big power, like to run 8's or lower, Big tire (Most likely a 33" but could vary between 30-33), and I will run 1/4 mile.
There is a lot of information missing for anyone to be able to make a good recommendation. You mention that you are finishing the frame; is that an aftermarket drag-race style tube frame or stock tub with stock bolt-on clip?

Fiberglass body is vague, because it contradicts the information about converting the 74 body. If it's a stock body shell, what parts are being converted to fiberglass?

If you want to run 8s then your best bet is drag race specific 4-link. At the power level you're talking about it will most likely require a 33" tall tire.

What class do you want to run? Often that will dictate the tire that you should choose.

Gear choice is dependent on the tire size, but we typically recommend talking to your engine builder as he will know where his engines like to spin going through the lights.

Realistically, spring rate is less of a concern until you are ready to run the car. Talk to the suspension manufacturer, whichever you decide to go with, and start with their suggested baseline. Even if it's off one rate it's a cheap fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the feedback

I have looked at the Strange double adjustable shocks and they seem legit, I have no experience with them, the reason I was leaning towards Aldan Amaerican is because I have ran them before and they will save a little $$. Is there anything wrong with single adjustable shocks?

I know that I have little info. I am starting from scratch and throwing around different ideas. Just trying to figure what rout I want to go on everything.

For the frame: I am back halfing the car now. The front half is the original car frame. For the back I am using 2x3 square frame tubing.

For the body: I am going all fiberglass, doing away with original shell and everything. I found a kit that sells the whole set up (shell and all). That is how I will be turning it into a 68. The fiberglass body itself weighs 135lbs

It will have a 4 link set up (I already have) 9 inch housing as well. I have been leaning towards a 33" tire which we also run on our other cars.

As for the class I am not sure. Most likely super stock, POSSIBLY top sportsman.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure on the classes. I know of the classes and have seen them but I don't know ALL the requirements fo each class. I have been down the track and raced off the track quite a few times but I have never done it competitively.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It appears that you're going to be fighting an uphill battle. If it's a glass body, your best plan of attack would be to build a full tube chassis car in one fell swoop. Everything will fit better and work better. If budget is a concern, that's a different story. There's nothing wrong with doing it in sections, but just be aware of what you are getting into.

The thing is, every aspect of the build has an effect on another aspect. The tire height effects how tall the rear rails must be, which also plays into the ground clearance. For example, our Eliminator II chassis is designed to run a 33" tall tire but the standard Eliminator chassis is designed for a 31" or 32" tall tire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears that you're going to be fighting an uphill battle. If it's a glass body, your best plan of attack would be to build a full tube chassis car in one fell swoop. Everything will fit better and work better. If budget is a concern, that's a different story. There's nothing wrong with doing it in sections, but just be aware of what you are getting into.

The thing is, every aspect of the build has an effect on another aspect. The tire height effects how tall the rear rails must be, which also plays into the ground clearance. For example, our Eliminator II chassis is designed to run a 33" tall tire but the standard Eliminator chassis is designed for a 31" or 32" tall tire.
I absolutely am! Just trying to get everything lined out. I'm starting to get a few things figured out. I'm in college now and graduate in May so money is a little tight. I will be able to get it a roller but that's about it right now. I landed a job starting this summer so things will come a little easier for me! I hope! Haha

I completely agree, everything effects everything else on any type of project. You change one thing you have to change others. I'm sure I may have to change a few things in the future once I get it race ready! Just want to try and keep that as minimal as possible like everyone else! Luckily I have other cars that are fairly similar to compare to! I've been doing a lot of messuring with rear end and frame to make sure I can fit the tire, shock, etc. I want. Just sent the rear end off to get cut down.

I've narrowed things down for what I want to go with, I appreciate all the suggestions! I'll let ya y'all know how it turns out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts