Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 nova it was a 4 cylinder and I am putting in a 327. Will the 4 cylinder coil springs be able to support the 327? or do I need to change them to small block springs? Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
i would think you'd have to swap them. im going to have to for my conversion… but, the stock springs are tired lookin'. in the mean time i'm adding a coil spacer just until i get the new engine running, then i'll be taking it in to get the coils and shocks replaced(i dont like doing suspension work).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I did look at summit and the spring they sell is for 4 6 or 8 cylinder I guess I will just change them out

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
figure how old the springs are and know there's a big weight difference between a 4 banger and the V8. might be wiser to change now than to wait and do later. good time to address all bushings, ball joints etc...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
figure how old the springs are and know there's a big weight difference between a 4 banger and the V8. might be wiser to change now than to wait and do later. good time to address all bushings, ball joints etc...
Agreed :yes:

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
You may have to wait until the engine is in it. My BBC has 6 cylinder springs in it. I had to cut about half a coil off mine to lower the car about 1.5 inches.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have to wait until the engine is in it. My BBC has 6 cylinder springs in it. I had to cut about half a coil off mine to lower the car about 1.5 inches.

ok say I use them how will I know if they are ok?? I bought the car without a motor in it so without weight I dont know if they were sagging because it was sitting real high, I really dont want the front sitting to high. I guess the worst that can happen is I replace them if its to low but do springs get wore out?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I'm going to be doing an engine swap in my 63 from the 6 to a 327. I plan on seeing how the car sets up with the added weight before I decide if I need to change the front spings. From what people have told me I should not have to change the springs, but I'll see for myself after the change.

:ragtop:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts