Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going with a tci front sub frame with a tci 4 link in the 63 nova. Now playing with the coil over or air bag problem. Which one to go with. The car is being built to have the pro tour look and be driven as a driver and cruiser. Not much or if any track time. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
The question of the year! :D

From my personal experience I still like air ride for a car that is going to have varying loads. You can sit the drive height where you want it whether its just you or the whole family and a loaded cooler. I dig the looks of a car thats on the edge of tire rub and you cant just set that and leave it with coilovers on a car with real life usage.

When I went to Woodward this year I had my choice over our 2010 Mustang on air or our 2010 Camaro on coil overs. I picked the Mustang and im not even a ford fan........

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
coil overs

Hi, I have had a few street rods with the coil overs and you can really make some fine adjustments because no 2 cars are the same.just finished my 63 rag top went stock all new parts but it is an every day driver. next project will be coil overs thanks skinnydude

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
The question of the year! :D

From my personal experience I still like air ride for a car that is going to have varying loads. You can sit the drive height where you want it whether its just you or the whole family and a loaded cooler. I dig the looks of a car thats on the edge of tire rub and you cant just set that and leave it with coilovers on a car with real life usage.

When I went to Woodward this year I had my choice over our 2010 Mustang on air or our 2010 Camaro on coil overs. I picked the Mustang and im not even a ford fan........
I agree with BigMike...I'd take a dumptruck if it was bagged:D...we've had shockwaves on our 63 for a few years now and could not be happier with Ridetech products and service....as for ride quality, when designing your suspension, shockwaves with longer travel produce a smoother ride.

Frank

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with coilovers, if used correctly. Sorry for the long winded novel below!

Adjusting the coilover changes the car height by increasing or decreasing the lower mounting point of the spring relative to the shock part of the coilover.

Coilovers are designed to have 2/3 compression and 1/3 rebound.

If memory serves me correctly, most front coilovers are around 3" in stroke. If you loosen up the spring to lower the car 1", from the 2/3 - 1/3 nominal height, you would only have 1" compression remaining in that coilover. This would not be a good idea. Even with a 4" stroke coilover frontend, you would only 1-3/8" of compression.

Most front ends are designed by the manufacturer to have a specific ride height. If a lower stance is desired, dropped spindles would be recommended by the manufacturer rather than lowering the frontend with the spring adjustments. Usually once the frontend is set to the 2/3 - 1/3 design height, the springs would only be adjusted to match left and right side only, not for major ride height changes.

As someone else said, bags allow you the "cool" look for slow cruising and shows etc, but can be inflated to a normal ride height to give the shock back its 2/3 1/3 stroke.

I would find out what TCI recommends for their "designed" ride height and then keep the most stroke coilovers. Then adjust to your ride height by dropped spindles, which could be purchase up front with the front clip without much if any added cost.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm curious about the same question. I just purchased a 67 and really want a sweat low look for cruising. I'm wont be racing this car but I do want to make some long across country trips in it. I have had coil overs in the past and loved them, however in the past I built my car around the wheels and tires. This Nova already has ladder bars and coil overs on the rear, and the TCI Mii front clip. So I have to work with what I have.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I would go coil overs:yes: I have two nova's one with coil overs and one that has full air suspension, like the ride of both but don't like the whole dropping the car to show stance thing anymore:no: you should build the car so that your ride height makes the car look cool, I see so many cars at shows that look killer dropped but once lifted to clear tires and ssuch they look goofy:D ok I'll get off my soap box:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts