Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Aluminum brakes would be unsprung weight and wouldn’t have any effect on the springs. An aluminum block would though.. You do probably have too much spring rate.. Does Heidts have any recommendations..?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aluminum brakes would be unsprung weight and wouldn’t have any effect on the springs. An aluminum block would though.. You do probably have too much spring rate.. Does Heidts have any recommendations..?
They want me to pull a spring and measure the over all length and coil size to see exactly which ones I have. I’m not going to pull a mad put back a spring for that. I was thinking Qa1 or Vikings. Just wasn’t sure which ones to get that will work for my set up

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
If you want to go to a coilover setup you will probably need to change or modify the lower control arms to work. Coil spring lower control arms don’t usually have the provisions to support the vehicle weight on the shock mounting hardware. You’ll need to look up coilovers for an aftermarket Mustang II Suspension application. I suspect @Pragmatist probably has coilovers on his Checkered Racing MII clip. Maybe he can elaborate more on his setup..
They want me to pull a spring and measure the over all length and coil size to see exactly which ones I have. I’m not going to pull a mad put back a spring for that. I was thinking Qa1 or Vikings. Just wasn’t sure which ones to get that will work for my set up

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,234 Posts
I suspect a pair of 325lbs. springs would be really close to what you want assuming you actually have 375lbs. springs now, but an adjustable setup is best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suspect a pair of 325lbs. springs would be really close to what you want assuming you actually have 375lbs. springs now, but an adjustable setup is best.
Will these springs be soft enough? Also will they fit with nothing need changing?

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
My only concern with saying yes is the possibility you have springs that are not 375lbs. on there now. If you are sure that is what you have then yes, 325lbs. springs will get you closest to what you want without buying an adjustable coilover kit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My only concern with saying yes is the possibility you have springs that are not 375lbs. on there now. If you are sure that is what you have then yes, 325lbs. springs will get you closest to what you want without buying an adjustable coilover kit.
So the invoice says 300lb but the part number when I put in refers to 375

Attachments

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I’d say it’s probably best to figure out what you actually have then go from there.. You are dealing with conflicting information.

The way a standard wound spring works is a simple linear equation.
A 300# spring rate takes:
300lbs to compress 1 inch
600lbs to compress 2 inches
900lbs to compress 3 inches

The given spring rate is the least amount of pressure it takes to compress the spring 1 inch and multiply that by the number of inches.. No matter what the spring rate is the formula is the same for standard wound springs with equally spaced coils.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The best way to buy springs is to have the front weight of the car and all the measurements from your lower control arm. Bushings to spring mount and bushings to ball joint. Then call QA1 and they will help you with spring select. Also having a compressed and extended shock length so you can choose a proper length shock rather than just buying one that should fit.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Most of the mustang II coil springs are wound to the same dimensions so it's a simple matter of measuring the wire diameter to get the spring weight. If it matches a 375lbs. spring you're probably good. That being said there are always going to be slight differences in manufacturing tolerances. You also have to consider the lower A arm. Is it the 5/8" shorter ones or the standard length? Are the welded perches for the lower spring mount off a 1/2" in either direction? This is why adjustables are so popular.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Pragmatist so i was able to pull the spring off and found out that they are 300lb spring and suppose to be 13.5" but they were cut down to 12.5". so im sure that has stiffend it up a bit. whats your thoughts? should i replace with a 275 spring and new shock or get a new control arm and buy a coil over kit?

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Lets return to your original statement. The car was stiff. Was it at proper ride height? Switching to a 275 from a 300 is not going to be that noticeable and given the original spring was cut down complicates things more. I know this will sound scarry but have you considered driving it without front shocks just around the neighborhood? If the car is at ride height it may be the shocks destroying the ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car ride height was good. The spring was 300lb and cut down. I’m trying to get a better ride. What’s your thiughts

·
Registered
358 Posts
You need to confirm if you have some binding in the suspension bushings, or if the shocks are to stiff. I'm willing to bet at this weight spring that they aren't the issue with the stiff ride.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
which spring rate and brand coil over would you recommend? also and idea on brand for lower control arm for that ?
Speedway motors has all the expert advice you need.....But I agree with xxdabroxx if you could remove the shocks and drive it around you may find the shocks are causing all your issues.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts