Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody aware of an problems with running coil overs in the rear on the street. I was talking to some people today and a couple of them said the coil over was mainly a race setup and that standard QA1's or something like that would be better. I had not heard this before and have seen quite a few cars with coil overs on the street. I know the non coil over type would sure be cheaper. Any input would be appreciated. These are going on my 69 car which is an ex race car. I have already pulled the ladder bars and have bought the kit to mount new shocks.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You should look into something like the g-bar if you want a street only car but it does seem a waste unless you just want bigger rims and tires. Seems like a leaf with a cal tracs or something similar will do the same thing. I think the g-bar is advertised as a street only product anyhow. Im personally looking for a more high performance setup thats streetable but Im still trying to figure out what I want. Funny you say ladder bar because I was considering doing a custom coilover/ladder bar setup myself. These are just my observations so dont take it as gospel.

Im looking at 3-link setups at the moment.

Something like this looks more like it to me.

Off to heat up the barbecue to tig weld my axle tubes.

·
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has been a race car all of its life. It can run wheels as wide as 14" on the back. The rearend is a Dana 60. The original shock setup was kind of strange but it seemed to work for the previous owner just fine. The car will be primarily a street car but will see some track time. Everybody I talked to including others on here did not recommend running a ladder bar setup on a street car as it apparently makes them pretty squirrely when making turns etc. Not to mention the very harsh ride.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
We need to know what rear suspension setup you will run in order to help you with spring and shock configurations.

If you are going to run a leaf spring setup you do not want (or need) coil-overs, only shocks. Other set-ups will vary...:yes:

·
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am going to stay with a leaf spring setup. The rear shock setup when I got the car had the lower part of the shock mounted inboard of the springs. The top part of the shock was mounted into the sloping part of the trunk where the spare tire would mount. The previous owner had it like this for years and the car always launched good. The weird thing is the shocks were basically at a 45 degree angle from botom to the top of the shock. I bought the CE bracket kit etc to mount new shocks with like I did when I moved my shocks inboard on my 72. The only thing that is still up in the air now is the shocks themselves. I am running HAL QA1 shocks on my 72 with the multi adjustment feature. I really like the way those shocks feel. I have seen a lot of cars with coil overs and leaf springs. But from what NOGO said, coil overs are mainly for cars running without springs. Now that he has jarred my memory I think that is right.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Coil-over shocks on leaf spring cars are considered "helper" springs. They load the shock mounts greater than they were designed for and can cause issues. You are better off getting the correct leaf springs than using helper springs.

Try your setup with the shocks you have and see what happens.:yes:

·
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My only real concern was the angle that the shocks were at on the car. I don't see how they would be able to function correctly on the street at that angle.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
My only real concern was the angle that the shocks were at on the car. I don't see how they would be able to function correctly on the street at that angle.
Maybe I did not read this correct but are your shock mounitng points different that stock? Changing the angle can change your shock travel, as well as change the rear axle dynamics just a bit, but most people would not be able to tell the difference.

·
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, the upper shock mounts are not in the stock location anymore. They are in the slanted portion of the trunk where the spare tire would mount. Here are a couple of pics of where they are. On the pic of the rearend you can see where the lower shock mount was on the ladder bar mount and the angle it is at. The inside the trunk picture shows where the shock stud came through the trunk piece. That hold is right next to the wheel well.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Im sorry, but I cant tell where your shocks were mounted on the axle.

But yeah, keep the leaf springs but mount the shocks as far outboard on the axle as you can, dunno if you can get a mount on the outside of the leaf spring perch, kinda looks like you can. If not then they need to go inboard of the spring mounts. 45 degrees sounds like alot of kant for a shock, Im not sure, QA1 could solve that problem, give them a call. And QA1 shocks are great for your car, they are quality pieces..

I had a similar issue, my rear was setup for straight line track, 1/4 mile. The shocks were way too far inboard for street driving.

So I moved them way out, after I had my final wheel placement. I dont remember what the actual degree of angle is off the top of my head. But I called the shock manufacture to make sure it was within their specs and it was.

Some pics. Before and after. See they were straight up and down and very far from the wheel, not a good street car suspension. So I moved the lower mounts out to the wheel where they can do their work.. JR

See the shocks were close together, not enough leverage going on, for the street.

And now they are acting on the outer most section of the axle tube, better leverage, more control.

·
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you look between the diff cover and the inside of the leaf spring you will see what looks like a thumb or shock mount stud hanging down below the axle tube. It is about 1/2 way between these 2 points.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
JRouche, I like that color on the car. What color is it? And do you have a pic of the car uncovered? Thanks.
Well sorry, its just primer black. Not much to show. The lighting may have made it look like something. Gotta love lighting and pictures. But no, its just plain old primer black. JR

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If you look between the diff cover and the inside of the leaf spring you will see what looks like a thumb or shock mount stud hanging down below the axle tube. It is about 1/2 way between these 2 points.
Oh, ok, I see the stud hanging down. The thing is you have some pretty wide tires right? Unless you have enough vertical room to mount the shocks above the springs then they are gonna have to go inboard of the springs. No problem. Ideally you would stick them, the lower mounts on the outside of the springs. I actually think thats doable from the pics. I think you can have shock mounts on the outside of the springs and locate the upper mounts directly above the leaf springs, looks like there is some material there?? Maybe just a simple plating of the area directly above the springs, on the outside of the springs. The outside of the wheel well?? Cant tell whats up there with the pic... JR

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Can you post a pic of a piece of rod or a ruler in place of where your shocks mount so we can see the angles you are working with? Maybe a rear shot and a side shot if you can. Do you have a protractor to measure the true angle?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts