Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 65 ss with a LS3. I have Heidts front super ride II and four link. It has coil over shocks and seems to ride really stiff. I called Heidts and they recommend 400 front springs and 250 in the rear. I pulled my springs off today and the rear were marked 300 and the front were marked with green and yellow dots. I'm going to call Heidts back tomorrow and see what the recommend I switch to but that I would ask here first. What springs are you running with a similar set up. How is your ride is it stiff or does it ride on the softer side. With my car you can push down on the bumper and get the spring to compress a little but not much and when I drive it you can feel every bump almost like there's no shock at all.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You might be feeling those low profile tires? RICK

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might be feeling those low profile tires? RICK
Rick I wish that was the case because it an easy fix. I have 22's and low pro tires on my truck and it rides great. The springs I was shipped are stiffer then what they recommend for my set up. I'm going to change them I just wanted to know what other people had so I can see what their ride was like.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Single one knob. What do you have on your car, are you happy, how's the ride
I have all CBR stuff with double adjustable's front and rear and I love em.
Are you sure yours only adjust rebound?

EDIT: just checked the Heidts web site, they do only adjust rebound. If you have the recommended spring then get double adjustable shocks or try backing off your current shock settings

EDIT II: Rick also brought up a good point pertaining to your tires

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
do you have a front sway bar by chance?

remove the links and take it out for a ride. i have 450lb front springs. mine is a Heidt's MustII clip with the beehive coil overs. i have the QA single adjustable front & rear (which are rebound adjusting only) after driving my car and playing with the settings i had my car so bitchen. i really thought it was great but like everyone i wanted more... so i added the Heidt's front bar for my clip and i also added the 5818 Helwig rear adjustable sway bar...

with the rear bar set on the medium setting i had to loosen up the shocks to the lightest setting to get any movement at all... my car now is very very tight and needs to be loosened up... only way for me to really do that is to remove my sway bars and go back with my shock settings OR leave the bars on and go with a lighter front spring... i think in my case i'd like to swap the springs (about $175. for the pair) and see how my shocks work with the sway bars & 350/375lb springs...

if you have front & rear sway bars, or just a front bar... try removing them first and play with the shocks and see how you like it. ;)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have all CBR stuff with double adjustable's front and rear and I love em. I had QA1 single adjustables but both rebound and compression were softened or stiffened depending which you turned the knob.
Are you sure yours only adjust rebound?

EDIT: just checked the Heidts web site, they do only adjust rebound. If you have the recommended spring then get double adjustable shocks or try backing off your current shock settings

EDIT II: Rick also brought up a good point pertaining to your tires
What weight are your springs front and rear. I'm not sure if my front springs are right because there marked with green and yellow instead of being stamped like the rear ones which are stiffer then recommended. As far as the tires I don't think that's the problem, I'm not saying its not a factor but its just stiff and feels more liks springs to me.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you have a front sway bar by chance?

remove the links and take it out for a ride. i have 450lb front springs. mine is a Heidt's MustII clip with the beehive coil overs. i have the QA single adjustable front & rear (which are rebound adjusting only) after driving my car and playing with the settings i had my car so bitchen. i really thought it was great but like everyone i wanted more... so i added the Heidt's front bar for my clip and i also added the 5818 Helwig rear adjustable sway bar...

with the rear bar set on the medium setting i had to loosen up the shocks to the lightest setting to get any movement at all... my car now is very very tight and needs to be loosened up... only way for me to really do that is to remove my sway bars and go back with my shock settings OR leave the bars on and go with a lighter front spring... i think in my case i'd like to swap the springs (about $175. for the pair) and see how my shocks work with the sway bars & 350/375lb springs...

if you have front & rear sway bars, or just a front bar... try removing them first and play with the shocks and see how you like it. ;)
I have front and rear Heidts sway bars. They recommend 400 springs in the front and 250 in the rear and I have 300 in the rear. I don't know if 50 makes a big difference but it's sure stiff. What springs do you have front and rear.

My issue isn't handling it's more driving down the road and hit a small bump and it feels like I rode my bmx bike off the curb you know what I mean no give at all.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would go down on the shock adjustments, I would try the second position on the shocks and see how that feels
Hey joe how have you been, did you get the new engine in. My shocks have 10 positions I've had them all the way counter clockwise and in the middle and no change. I'm pretty sure it just adjusts the rebound and so far my main problem is its to stiff like I have no shocks at all

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i have multi leafs in the rear with adjustable QA1's, no coil overs. fronts are beehive style coil overs, 450lb springs.

i think you need to readjust your shocks lighter... if it's still too stiff reset them back in the middle and remove the sway bars.

if it's then to your liking i'd say then think about swapping springs.

i'd test it, adjust it etc numerous times. you may not need the sway bars and not have to spend a dime to get it set bitchen for what you want...

i'd adjust & test etc first...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have multi leafs in the rear with adjustable QA1's, no coil overs. fronts are beehive style coil overs, 450lb springs.

i think you need to readjust your shocks lighter... if it's still too stiff reset them back in the middle and remove the sway bars.

if it's then to your liking i'd say then think about swapping springs.

i'd test it, adjust it etc numerous times. you may not need the sway bars and not have to spend a dime to get it set bitchen for what you want...

i'd adjust & test etc first...
I know the sent me the wrong rear springs so I'm going to switch them I'm not sure about the front yet. I was told they should switch them for free so I hope that's the case. I currently have sway bars off and no change on stiffness.

How would I adjust the shocks lighter. I've had them all the way counter clockwise and in the middle. When I got the shocks the instructions didn't didn't say anything about adjustment.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if they have 10 clicks they have 10 positions.

try all of them... throw a blanket in the trunk. take it out and test, adjust test, adjust etc...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A good place to start is to measure how far the springs compress at ride height. Sway bars absolutely increase the usable spring pressure. There are several theories on spring VS. bars but trial and error seems to work well too.
With the car on the ground the front springs are 6-1/4 and rear are 9-1/8

1 - 20 of 26 Posts