Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1973 Nova. I bought it for $1000 from Northern Cali and I am restoring it over the next few years as a street/strip, more strip than street.

this is the only cancer spot i really had on the car is on the floor pan. it wasnt bad enough to order a floor pan so i just cut out some pieces and will weld them in

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more work

so i have to drive this from my house to my parents to work on it because of a power issue in the shop, plus the shop is tiny. so i had to leave the stock frame rails for a while so i could drive it till i had everything secure.

fitting the fuel cell and builing brakets

this is building the roll cage, and i just sprayed some black on it for now so it dont rust

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
new parts

got some new parts thanks to all the great peoples information i have been reading on this site.

so i bought the split monos and caltracs from calvert racing. i also bought greg weld 15x10, and 15x3.5 wheels, spring sliders, and mickey thompson 28x12.5x15 tires. i have read a whole lot of good things about all these products.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new suspension

i got some work done. i put in the new suspension, other than the rearend. i am gonna run a ford nine inch

i went and got my tires mounted today.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some tin work

i cut some of the pieces of aluminum for my mini tub.

i think im gonna keep the duck tape, it looks speed ready

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more tin work

this was the next weekend. i got the stock frame rails cut out finaly, and fenders are just sitting i wont leave them angled

i got some pieces bent and in place with clekos

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got my seats

i had some leather race seats but gave them to a friend for his b-day because they were 48 pounds each without the mount. i want to do some drag racing so weight is a big deal. but the woman doesnt like my new ones that got here because she said there not as cool.

the mount are aluminum so there very light. i just have to finish the mount to the roll cage.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
rearend housing, brakes

well last weekend i got my rearend housing from the junk yard. this weekend i will clean it up ,cut off all the old brackets, and drop it off to get shortened a little

here is my new brakes. wilwood 4 piston dynalites. i plan to get the dynalites for the front as well. for some reason this first picture looks funny, i think it was the flash. i will put the brakes together this weekend and take another pic. well i hope to get the rest of the aluminum cut and bent this weekend also. i will take some pics with it in there. then i get to take it all back out to do some cleanup, and paint before it goes in for good

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
wow!!!!

i cut all the brackets off this last weekend and tried to drop it off and i was told to do the back brace first so if it warps he can fix it in the jig. i also cut the other sheet metal for the trunk. I am lacking the one piece that goes behind the fuel cell. i have to make it so it can be removed easy so i can get the fuel cell out if needed. i am gonna take pictures tom. i am also gonna shave the rear marker lights, cut and weld the piece that the aluminum rivets too on the quarter panels, fix a small rust spot in the quarter panel, and disassemble all the aluminum so i can start cleaning up the trunk for paint. then hope saturday it will be nice out so i can paint the trunk and start putting it back together.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here are a couple pics. i made a template for the back brace. i will get it cut and on soon. i got the aluminum all cut and in place. i also shaved the marker lights in the rear and got the aluminum all in for good. i will take some pics this weekend.i am gonna do a lot of work finishing up the roll cage and floor of the car this weekend i hope and i will post some pics on next monday

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here are a couple new progress pics. i got the floor all in and used bed liner paint so it has a texture on the floor and sides. i also put in a battery mount this morning. i used 1 3/4 tubing to go through the floor to the frame. I have to do some final painting on stuff and polish the fuel cell back up after all my fab work is done.

you will notice i still havent bent the rear piece of aluminum that goes behind fuel cell at rear of car. i will do it today

i welded in the door bars, and attached the seat to cage

i lowered it in the front a little so i looks better driving back and forth while im working on it. i also shaved the markers in the rear.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry guys havent got any work done lately. i had to buy a new pressure washer setup for my business, and now im buying a Ring yup poping the big one here shortley. i will get some work done in a week or so

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
finally gonna start working on the car again. im now engaged. i had to buy a ring, now in planning a wedding. i went and bought some paint and some more sheet metal today so i can get to work. i have a bunch to do before i have to buy more parts so i will update the pics here shortley. sorry for the long pause.

list of things to finish:
finish interior sheet metal
sand and paint interior
lay sound deadener
finish rearend fabrication
finish custom gauge cluster

i will start getting some of this done, and post pics

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well by the time i got my gage cluster sanded and added filler to it and sanded that it weight about 12 pounds. so it is going in the trash. it kept me busy with no money to spend.

for now i cut out a couple pieces for the floor. this is just sitting there, i will finish it up this weekend. i will also finish were my rollcage mounts to the floor on the main hoop.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just wanted to add this pic because i liked it... i know its a little ruff but at least im starting to do work again..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i finally got my back brace on my housing and i am gonna drop it off this week to get narrowed. took me forever to cut out my brace, i tried to last week and my grinder died on me so i went and got a dewalt grinder and drill the other night so now i can get after it again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i started today on my adjustable spring perches like what bowtie0069 has on his car. i am doing a couple small changes to his design but pretty much same thing. i still have to get some more metal to make my hinge, and my top plate.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well we got done with our christmas travels and i picked up my housing tonight. it is now short. i am gonna order axles, spool, and center next

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i worked on my adjustable perches today. i just have to drill a hole in the center of the pad, and get a 3 inch bolt for my hinge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts