Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
70 Nova. I installed an hydraulic master cylinder and an hydraulic slave cylinder.Bleeding the slave with the bleeder open and a tube running into a bottle of brake fluid, I have an inch or 2 of pedal. When I close down the bleeder there's just about zero pedal. the ram arm on the slave pushes out but not enough to do what needs to be done. With nothing attached to the master, the pedal works fine, once I have pressure, I have no pedal. Any thoughts. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
70 Nova. I installed an hydraulic master cylinder and an hydraulic slave cylinder.Bleeding the slave with the bleeder open and a tube running into a bottle of brake fluid, I have an inch or 2 of pedal. When I close down the bleeder there's just about zero pedal. the ram arm on the slave pushes out but not enough to do what needs to be done. With nothing attached to the master, the pedal works fine, once I have pressure, I have no pedal. Any thoughts. Thanks
Sounds like there's still air in the line or cylinder if you get full travel without load. Were there instructions for gravity bleed or bench bleed of the mc? Typically, that's the issue. Air will compress when loaded but will move the slave when not. Hyd or brake fluid will not compress and will move the piston in the slave. What brand and model hyd clutch mc/slave piston assy did you go with?

·
Premium Member
1974 Nova SS
1,481 Posts
Which master and slave exactly? Can you get full stroke of the master piston with the lines disconnected? When you say you have no pedal, what does that mean? It goes to the floor with nothing happening or it locks in the full up position or it moves completely through its stroke with nothing happening? Just trying to get a clearer picture of what is happening.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With nothing attached to the maser cylinder there is only about a 2-3" push on the rod . When I say no pedall I 'm referring to the pedal doesn't depress. You can't tell much from these pics, I will get the correct names of both master and slave . Without the hose to the slave , yes I get the pedal to depress. I've got another project car, a 1951 Studebaker PU. SBC, 4 spd ,Posi, Comp 268 cam , headers etc. I installed swing pedals with clutch master cylinder and a slave and it runs great, The clutch pedal only depresses 2-3" and it works great. So 2-3" depress works for me. While bleeding the slave I get 2-3" depress, when it close the bleeder, the pedal will not depress but 1", the slave piston does extend but not enough to release the clutch. I don't remember directions for bleeding as to bench bleed as with a brake master. I messed with the clutch plate , PP and throw out quite a bit while on a startup stand, I really don't think I did anything wrong, its pretty much only goes one way. Damn, I don't want to have to pull the trans. No lift and working on your back is RUFF. Thanks Guys

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
On my 68, the clutch master is mounted where i drew the green circle (it hangs under the master cylinder for the brakes), and the linkage goes the pedal way up high. If you unbolt the slave from the bell housing, can you push the pedal down and see the rod extend more from the slave? Im wondering if you simply dont have enough leverage to move the slave...

Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Font Auto part Steering wheel

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
With nothing attached to the maser cylinder there is only about a 2-3" push on the rod . When I say no pedall I 'm referring to the pedal doesn't depress. You can't tell much from these pics, I will get the correct names of both master and slave . Without the hose to the slave , yes I get the pedal to depress. I've got another project car, a 1951 Studebaker PU. SBC, 4 spd ,Posi, Comp 268 cam , headers etc. I installed swing pedals with clutch master cylinder and a slave and it runs great, The clutch pedal only depresses 2-3" and it works great. So 2-3" depress works for me. While bleeding the slave I get 2-3" depress, when it close the bleeder, the pedal will not depress but 1", the slave piston does extend but not enough to release the clutch. I don't remember directions for bleeding as to bench bleed as with a brake master. I messed with the clutch plate , PP and throw out quite a bit while on a startup stand, I really don't think I did anything wrong, its pretty much only goes one way. Damn, I don't want to have to pull the trans. No lift and working on your back is RUFF. Thanks Guys
Well, that certainly doesn't sound like air in this case. I misunderstood what you were saying initially. My apologies. So once the cylinder and slave are all buttoned up and lines tight and bled, the pedal will not depress more than an inch? Are you certain your throw-out bearing is installed correctly? your clutch arm? your disk? so many reasons that would/could cause the rod to not extend from the slave. try this, unbolt the slave and see if the pedal will depress and extend the rod. If it works, it's something inside the bell housing methinks. I could be wrong here but leaning towards the throwout bearing/fork interface...

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I first stabbed my muncie in the bell housing, I had the same problem with my slave not depressing. Turns out the throw out bearing wasn't on the clutch fork right. It was either in front of the clips. Luckily I pulled the fork down enough to get it clipped on the throw out bearing and it solved it. Hope that is all there is to your issue. It is a beach to do this alone. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On my 68, the clutch master is mounted where i drew the green circle (it hangs under the master cylinder for the brakes), and the linkage goes the pedal way up high. If you unbolt the slave from the bell housing, can you push the pedal down and see the rod extend more from the slave? Im wondering if you simply dont have enough leverage to move the slave...

View attachment 443296

View attachment 443297
When I dropped the engine in I had the trans and slave all bolted together, now the top bolt on the slave bracket is flush up against the floor pan and I can't get at the top bolt . I thought the same thing....if the slave rod extends without the fork then it's interior problems. There's another little problem with pulling the trans...I'm 80 years old, still enough piss and vinegar but man...wrestling the trans back in on my back by myself. Come on over and help me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts