Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just swaped to a tremec tko 500 and went with the larger flywheel and clutch set up. we had to make some changes to the Z-Bar. Now the clutch pedal sits about 1 inch lower than the brake pedal. Any ideas on how to get the two pedals even again?
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Lengthen either the pedal to Z-bar or the Z-bar to clutch arm rod. Not familiar with the Gen 1 linkage, but I wouldn't be surprised of one of them had a threaded section for adjustment.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will looking at this this weekend. I have noticed that GM provides 2 + sizes of adjustment rods. Everyones advice on this subject has given me new insites.
John

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
1962-1967 sixer & V8 used the same exact linkage... only one piece each. Zbar, upper & lower rods... they used 2 different bell housings, both 7 o'clock units. one as a smaller retainer opening than the other. the larger opening "309" unit is the V8 unit. they changed linkage parts in '68 and later years, bell housings too...

the issues you're having is from using incorrect & modified parts. there may be no "simple" answer to your issue without checking all the components to ensure they CAN do their job instead of being forced to attempt the job and sometime down the line, Fail. if i recall correctly you have the incorrect bell housing and a modified Zbar... i think you have more issues than you're aware of...

also... it's not necessary to post multiple threads on the same subject if the replies aren't what you want to hear, be patient and wait, other members will offer their opinions/answers.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
if you used an aftermarket flywheel along with the scattershield etc. it's very possible you'll be needing an adjustable pivot and/or the "special" G1625C taller GM T/O bearing.

if the flywheel is a bit thin and the bell is rather thick (which they both generally are) then the spec distance from the crank face to the face of the bell is more than what it's supposed to be and now you have no pedal, no clutch actuation... ok, that's generally the issue but here's the problem... due to the 9 o'clock housing and the modified Zbar we can't isolate the pedal issue with a simple "get a longer rod" because a longer rod doesn't change the incorrect geometry... if the leverage points are wrong, that's what needs to be corrected...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First I would like to thank you all for your quick replies and great knowledge. Obviously, there are many issues to check as I changed up quite a few parts. Nothing is stock anymore. It's no fun unlesss there is a problem, right? I sort of expected to have to work on these issues. I was kind of hoping that someone other than myself had already done this swap.
I apologize for the double post. The reason I re-posted was that when I looked for my post the nexy day I couldn't find it. Sorry.
Thanks again, John

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved. Lower push rod needed to be a custom length and a different Z-bar return spring length. Thank you again for all the help you men provided.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts