Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just installed a tko 500 trans with a change over to the larger flywheel and clutch set which necessitated a 9 o'clock bellhousing and some custom throw out brg fork linkage. The Z Bar was custom made. Now the clutch pedal is about an inch or so lower than the brake pedal. This was installed in a 1965 Nova. How do I align the clutch pedal to the brake pedal?
Thanks, John

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
with a custom application there is no simple answer to the issue. are the Z bar leverage points correct? are the rods, upper & lower, the correct lengths?

most guys avoid that issue by using the proper bell housing/scatter shield and correct linkage...

or use a hydraulic actuating system...

you'll need to check it all out and correct the geometry... change one thing and it can greatly affect something else... if it works you might be better off leaving it alone. does the pedal hit the bumper stop on the pedal assembly brace? maybe you need to just cut off the pedal pad on the pedal and raise it...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the inormation. I guess I will have to check out all the variables. I thought of maybe having to make a new drive bar for the z-bar or a make a new adjustment bar for the throw out brg fork but didn't even think of the bumper stop.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the pedal is that much lower than the brake pedal than its not hitting the bump stop. Figure out how much you will need the lengthen the pushrod from the pedal to the zbar, split that number and add half to that pushrod and the other half to the rod that goes to the clutch fork, that should keep everything right. I made linkage out of round bar and heim ends so its adjustable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Clutch alignment

On my 66 when I put together the pedal assembly the pedals were out quite a bit as well. The clutch was lower than the brake. I ended up cutting and re-welding the spot where the bumper goes plus shaved a little bumper off the bumper and now they line up perfectly. After a little bit of paint with everything installed it looks pretty nice and nobody would know that there was a little work done to it.

Good luck...

Brian

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gentlemen. Now I have a starting point and it all makes some sense. I will measure how exactly how far the peddle is off and go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts