Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i really need some help. i put a new clutch and pp in my car and it will not work right. seems the clutch is slipping to much but i can kill the engine sometimes by putting on the brake. i have had this thing out of the car 4 times yesterday and cannot figure it out. can i be putting the clutch plate in backward. it is a 3-speed with a 6 cyl. i really need some help here. thanks jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm assuming you adjusted the linkage after the installation and you are sure the PP is applying full clamping force. Are you sure you got the throwout bearing installed correctly? Did the bellhousing seat correctly? Any of these things could keep the full pressure from being applied to the clutch.

If you are sure those are good, what did the surface of the flywheel look like? Was it glazed? Did you de-grease/clean it to get rid of finger prints, etc?

·
Registered
242 Posts
had the same issue

i bought my 64 wagon with the trans out but new clutch kit in the box put it all together and it slipped no matter how i adjusted it
it would run down the road but slip when u gave it any power
any way ...it was the wrong release bearing the kit had a long one in it and it was pressing on the plate just a little because it was up against the trans front bearing retainer...
got a short bearing and pulled the trans switched it out and now its all good
good luck hope this helps
craig

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch

no kidding. i am using the 1 7/8 in. throwout bearing. are you saying i should use the shorter one i think it is 1 5/8 or so. if this helped you i will get a new one tomorrow. thanks :yes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming you adjusted the linkage after the installation and you are sure the PP is applying full clamping force. Are you sure you got the throwout bearing installed correctly? Did the bellhousing seat correctly? Any of these things could keep the full pressure from being applied to the clutch.

If you are sure those are good, what did the surface of the flywheel look like? Was it glazed? Did you de-grease/clean it to get rid of finger prints, etc?
yes i did all of those things. everything is new except the flywheel but it has been resurfased. thanks. have you ever heard of using the wrong throw out bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts