Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Im diving head first into fixing up my first classic. I have a general knowledge of how cars function mechanically and electricity. Currently having clutch problems. Clutch started giving out slowly and now barely has any pressure till the very bottom. Boiled down the issue to leak in clutch line, either via master or slave cylinders. There is still fluid in the reservoir so I’m uncertain which is the culprit. In order to bleed the system would I have to remove the drive shaft and transmission to get access to this. Also this picture is within the bell housing, what exactly am I looking at?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Looks like the seal in the TO is leaking. I'd clean all that away w/ brake cleaner and refill the MC. Gravity is your friend, refill the MC, bleed and then have someone pump clutch pedal while you watch. Likely you are looking at a new TO which of course will require trans removal.
With all the "wind" whipping around by the clutch and flywheel you will be lucky if oil is not on the clutch disc. I'd look for that when the trans is out.
I'll get blow-back on this but this is an example of why I will never have a hyd TO. Mechanical linkage for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the seal in the TO is leaking. I'd clean all that away w/ brake cleaner and refill the MC. Gravity is your friend, refill the MC, bleed and then have someone pump clutch pedal while you watch. Likely you are looking at a new TO which of course will require trans removal.
With all the "wind" whipping around by the clutch and flywheel you will be lucky if oil is not on the clutch disc. I'd look for that when the trans is out.
I'll get blow-back on this but this is an example of why I will never have a hyd TO. Mechanical linkage for me.
Awesome thanks! Also "TO" as in?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have a McLeod Throw Out Bearing (TOB) and it has two hoses that run outside the bell housing. One to the master cylinder and the other has a bleed valve in the end. The bleed valve hose should be connected to the highest port on the TOB. I bleed mine by submerging the bleed line in a jar of brake fluid with the bleed valve open and then just cycle the pedal till no more air bubbles escape. You could do the same thing with rubber tubing if you can get your hands in there to open/close the valve and attach hose. The reason I bring this up is I have a horrible time trying to get the air out of my system and the jar method is the only thing that works. The hardest part is tightening the bleed valve while keeping it submerged. I can do the job alone because the bleed valve stays open the whole time and you can cycle the pedal with your arm while watching the bubbles in the jar under the car. If the TOB is leaking, trans has to come out of the car, and that always sucks! Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts